Decent Speakers for dorm room (and beyond)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drewpace, Jul 14, 2007.

1. drewpace macrumors newbie

i'm looking for a decent set of speakers to put in my dorm room. i want something that i can hook up the tv/xbox360/laptop/ipod with ease. i dont want to spend a ton of money..im thinking under 200.

im not really sure if i want 5.1 or 2.1. the only use of the 5.1 is with the 360, right? seems to me that it'd be better to have 2 great speakers than 5 decent ones. thanks

2. Manfred macrumors newbie

If you are in a dorm room, you might consider some sound canceling headphones. Bose makes some very good (and expensive) noise canceling headphones, but I am told that the Audio-Technica ATH ANC7 QuietPoint is a good product. I hope that I have been told correctly, because I have ordered a pair (which have not come yet).

3. jrbsman macrumors member

Two suggestions

I've been using two sets of speakers with my setup and both have their good and bad points. They are both 2.1 systems but also have sets in their model lines with surround sound. Neither one would be considered "high end" but I have found they both do a good job for my needs (better sound for music and movie watching)

Main ones: Logitech x230 approx. $80-90 CDN. I really like them. The sound is very balanced. There is a separate bass control although it is hidden on the back of the sub so once you find a bass level you like you don't want to change it very often. It also comes with a mini-jack to RCA plug adaptor so it would be easy to hook up any other sound source you might want.

Sister's speakers which I use a bit: Altec Lansing VS4121 approx. $100 CDN. These speakers have an overall higher sound output so if you're trying to fill a big space they are a bit better (not that the Logitechs aren't loud) They have treble and bass controls right on the desk speakers so it is easy to quickly adjust levels for your current preference. My only complaint is that I find the sub is way too powerful and overpowers the higher end. To get a music to sound even close to proper I have to use the bass reducer equalizer in iTunes and turn down the bass control on the speakers to very low an treble at medium. This gives a right balance but tinny sound. Also, these speakers don't come with an adapter so you only have the mini-jack available.

Overall my preference is the logitech speakers. I have loved them since I got them and would recommend them to anyone. Logitech also makes a couple other versions in their lineup, one that has "Apple Styling" and others with 5.1

4. drewpace thread starter macrumors newbie

thats a good point, but i already have some schure earbuds that get the job done. i'm looking for a good set of speakers to use to enjoy a movie and listen to music if there are other people in my room.

5. jvencius macrumors regular

I'm a big fan of Klipsch speakers and THIS SET in their refurb store is a helluva good deal, plus they're well under your price target.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You definitely don't want 5.1 in a dorm room. It will take up too much room (you barely have any room to begin with) and will be a pain in the ass to wire up. Just get the 2.1.

I'm planning to get the Logitech Z4i's for my dorm room this year.

7. drewpace thread starter macrumors newbie

what are you thoughts on buying refurb speakers?

8. john2006wright macrumors regular

what do you guys think of the JBL 2.1 creatures?

9. jvencius macrumors regular

I'd buy them (especially direct from Klipsch) w/o any reservations at all. I have a set of ProMedia 2.0's now that I bought from Klipsch's eBay refurb store and they're fantastic. I couldn't find any scratches/dents/damage and if you close your eyes, there's no way at all to tell they were refurb'ed.

Klipsch does make some fancier systems, but they're all significantly more expensive than you're thinking about ($500+) so that kind of rules them out.

10. drewpace thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know how long those are usually available? i dont get paid until fri.

11. jvencius macrumors regular

Dunno--if that set is sold, you might want to check out Klipsch's eBay store (or some of the other resellers on eBay) since they sometimes have a better selection of refurb speakers on there. I just checked and there are a few sets for <$100, but I'd feel more comfortable buying directly from Klipsch (either through their site or their eBay store) than a 3rd-party reseller.

12. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

I think that they're lovely. We have a set of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks on the downstairs Mac and a pair of Creatures on the upstairs Mac.

Whilst the acoustics of the two rooms are different, I think I prefer the Creatures - to my ears* the sound is fuller and warmer than Soundsticks, which, although excellent, I find slightly harsh.

Cheers

Jim

*Disclaimer: a mis-spent youth attending some very loud gigs means that my hearing is pretty much FUBARed.

13. jvencius macrumors regular

You might also want to take a look at THESE for the same price. They have an RCA input (that I didn't see in the Promedia 2.1's) and that might make hooking up a TV/360 easier.

14. CPPhoto macrumors member

the klipsch 2.1 set they sell at apple are awesome...ive had them for about 3 years.

dont get a 5.1 system unless your dorm room is expansive or something...pluss...your parents and you arent going to want to move those after this year to your soph. dorm or whatever...its a P.I.T.A.

or another option is the apple Hi-Fi...its quite nice i have one of those too...

15. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

2.1 or less for dorm room...there's just not room for all the wires. Plus they generally frown on you drilling holes in the walls.

16. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

you sould be my igroove, its sound is amazing

17. thebrain74 macrumors regular

My dad got the creatures, and I A/B'd them with my Creatives in my studio, and the creatives knocked their socks off, fuller sound, louder, possibly even better design (complements MBP. macbook). anyway, the creatives where these and they are definitely in your budget...linkyhttp://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-I-Trigue-3300-3-Speaker/dp/B00007AKC1/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7564274-6487955?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184441511&sr=8-1
    so I'd reccomend those (other anything else higher up in the creative 2.1 series, since you have the money)..

18. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Another vote for the Klipsch Pro-media 2.1; they're truly amazing sounding speakers. $89 is a helluva good price on them too, even though the shipping is around $20 or so. They're the best 2.1 speakers I've ever had and I keep going back to them (and I've had H/K Soundsticks II, Logitech z-2300's (which are pretty damn good 2nd best), and the Pro-media GMX 2.1's (disappointing).

Great for movies, games, music, and just about anything you can throw at them.

I would, however, recommend getting these and a good pair of headphones/earbuds to go with it. At 110 with shipping, you could easily spill a bit on a pair of 'phones too, and stay under your max budget.

19. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

i got the 2.1 jbl creature speakers.

advice to you: do not get them! while they are indeed very sleek when it comes to design etc ... they are just horrible when it comes to richness of sounds. it tends to add too much bass on nearly everything. if you listen to electronic dance music, this might be a go for you but if you listen e.g. to rock music, please get the jbl spots. my gf has them and they are simply much better when it comes to depths-management. just look up some better review on the internet and you will see i am right.

20. djkny macrumors 6502

Altec Lansing fx6021, Bose Media Companion's (or a variation thereof), Logitech 5220's (or a variation thereof), Klipsch 2,1's, Jonathan Ive-inspired Harmon's, JBL Creatures ... blah blah blah

if this question ever gets posted again, so help us God.

21. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i feel sorry for whoevers living in the building with you. playing stuff outloud like that. just my opinion though.

22. TheCubedXbox macrumors member

my vote goes to the Logitech z-2300 2.1 system. I had a set and absolutly loved them, amazing sound. Eventually traded up to the z-5500 5.1 system which is even better, but the 5 speakers set up for a dorm would be a pain and the sub for that system is HUGE, the 2300 system's sub is much smaller and more manageable in a dorm room, 8" sub versuses 10" sub of the 5500. If it were me I'd go with the 2300 set up and there only like $108 on Amazon.

23. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I have the Logitech X230 and am very happy but considering how much you want to spend I'll second whoever chimed in with a pair of Klipsch speakers. You won't be disappointed.

24. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Err ... the bass is adjustable ...

Cheers

Jim

25. drewpace thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to go with the promedia 2.1 speakers. they are refurb. i just got them in yesterday and they are super badass. i definetly recommend these for anyone in the market. you won't be disappointed.