Decent storage options for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ruffian829, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

Out of desparation I downloaded a whole season of Blues Clues onto my iPad for my son while I was studying for the Bar exam (and now I want to pull my hair out, but that is a whole different story...)
    Problem is, it has taken up 90% of the space on the iPad now (I have the iPad 2, but the smallest size storage).
    Is there a good way to store these tv shows off the iPad but still allowing me to access them when needed? Can I just delete them and then re-download them when needed??

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Unless you want to wait forever for the shows to download everytime you want to watch them, there are external drives that would help solve your problem such as this WiFi one from Seagate. Normal external HD's won't work on an iPad (perhaps if jailbroken) so your options are pretty limited.

3. dasmb macrumors regular

If you bought them from the iTunes store, yeah you can just delete them and re-download them at any point to any device with your account authenticated (including that iPad and the computer you sync with). You can perform the deletion from within the iPad, using the Settings -> About -> Storage -> Video

Honestly though, Blues Clues is on Netflix...could have saved yourself 20 bucks and the storage.

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I don't believe any external drive will work with iTunes purchased media for the iPad. You would have to be jailbroken and use iFile.

5. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't netflix require a subscription? The season was only $8 and I have $100 gift card to iTunes from the student deal on my macbook pro with no idea what else to spend it on ;)

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You may not be able to re-download them in the future, depending on future agreements between the studio and Apple. This is spelled out in the iTunes Store terms of service.

So maybe a better idea is to connect your iPad to your computer, then use the "Transfer Purchases" item on the menu. It will copy purchases made on your iPad at iTunes Store over to your computer.

Then you could back those files up. They will be located in "TV Shows" inside your iTunes Media folder. And THEN you could delete them off your computer's iTunes library and hard drive (and the iPad) if you want to save space on both devices. Or just leave them on your computer setup where you could put them back on the iPad sometime if desired.

7. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably a good idea to have them on the macbook too... maybe I'll throw them on my old macbook to store them there... I don't want him watching them on the new macbook pro as he's not very gentle with the computers (17 months old)

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for an Apple TV. We got one last month, and I've been able to stream all the content I've ever paid for on iTunes as well as access my iTunes Match stuff. I think that all depends on what area you live in though.

9. MFL2012 macrumors member

The Wi Drive from Kingston can play iTunes content thru Safari. Enter the IP address of the Wi Drive into the address bar and you're good to go. IOS devices only. 32 GB version is about 70-80 bucks. Only problem is it's FAT 32. No video files over 4 GB. Blue's clues shouldn't be a problem.

10. MacUser09 macrumors regular

Isn't everything that you buy on iTunes, now stored on iCloud?
    iTunes>Purchases>View... Music, Flms, TV shows.

11. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd love an apple tv but it's not in the budget at the moment- plus we're away a lot on weekends and such so I was hoping for a solution to encompass that as well although I'm aware that may not be possible.

I wouldn't mind backing up onto a HD (I probably will regardless) but I hate that I can't then just access the HD from the iPad w/o the MacBook.

12. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

$8 a month unlimited streaming of movies tv shows, etc...
    Including DVD rentals

Pay extra for: Rated X movies, blu-ray, etc...

http://www.netflix.com

13. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

I use a Kingston 64 GB wiDrive ....on Amazon $120...creates its on wifi to connect to the iPad ....fits in your pocket...solid state (don't have to handle gingerly)....allows three simultaneous connections which can view different content.

• Free Wi-Drive Apps with Additional Features - downloadable at Apple's App Store, Google Play and Amazon Appstore
    • File Support - Wi-Drive can store any file type, but playback and viewing is based on the files that are supported by the moblie device.
    • Cable - Mini-USB to USB cable included
    • User can upload files and content from their PC/Mac to the Wi-Drive using the USB cable
    • Local Storage - wirelessly transfer files to and from the Wi-Drive App and the Wi-Drive hardware.
    • Convenient - pocket-sized for easy transportability
    • Guaranteed - one-year warranty
    • Rechargeable Battery - up to four hours of continuous use

14. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am definitely going to look into these external harddrives, and the apple TV as I was somehow mistaken thinking it was too expensive/out of budget but as its only $99 it's really not.
    Can either of these external HD work w/o wifi (via USB or something)? I'm thinking car trips where I won't have wifi in the car obviously.

And again I was mistaken about the cost of Netflix! I may have to look into that at $8/month...

15. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I use an app like Good Player to stream/ download videos off my shared network drives as I need them.
    It plays pretty much any format like vlc does.

my most used app.

But this is for wifi situations so I guess it really doesn't help...... Unless you creat a share you can access over the Internet ( like FTP) the access it with good player over 3G.

16. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Our Internet is down at the moment (people are *supposed* to come out today to fix it after insisting that it is only a "loose connection" on my end- which it obviously is not...) and I only have like one bar of 4G in certain spots of the house... And it isn't always a constant one bar lol)
    Maybe someone can answer this question for me - The video on the website seems to show people using it in a car- is it a case that they are using 3G to access the content? But in that case, how is the drive itself working without wifi?

17. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

The Kingston creates and broadcasts its own wifi network....you connect to it from your device just as you would any wifi signal. No 3G necessary!