Decent UK dictonary for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dal123, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

One of the things I love about my mac is I can access dictionary very quickly in my dock and check spelling.
    BUT I am now studying for a degree and although I already have it set to UK preferences in the dictionary and system preferences in general is all set to UK it still has problems with spellings of things like colour etc. it's fine when I know the errors but having a basic spelling like this in my essay could cause me to fail. Anyone know of any boosts/ other apps that are better suited to the English, English lanugauge:p?

2. ecenur macrumors newbie

I agree with you. I own a MacBook pro, I think it's amazing, and really handy to use. I'm studying law, and there's a lot of writing involved, whether their essay's, opinion pieces, theory statements etc. Having a dictionary that's there, ready, and easy to use is a great thing. Much better then having to use the old fashion dictionary which wastes a lot of valuable time.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In 10.6 it's needlessly complicated to get the British spellchecker working properly. Go to Sys Prefs > Language & Text > Text and check that Spelling is set to British English (you've probably already done that). Then reopen the Spelling dropdown and go to Setup. Untick US English and select British English. Click Done and it should handle "colour", "optimise", etc and tell you that "color" and "optimize" are wrong.