Deception in Books, films, poetry

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Ok, I have to write a report on 'deception' for English and then a seminar on the same topic.

Can you guys n gals recommend some films, books or poetry that has a strong deceptive theme or subject.

Currently I am looking into:
The Day of the Jackal
The Matrix
Where Eagles Dare

Thanks

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Othello - classic example
The Divine Comedy - By Dante
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
The Great Gatsby
the list goes on and on and on...

i could come up with a very very long list actually.
depends on what definition of 'Deception' and the interpretation of the meaning that you're going for.

feel free to PM me and we can discuss this a bit more if you want: ideas and different meanings and such. i remember having a lot of papers deal with this in one form or another and i can think of a lot of different examples

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
like PoD said, there are many examples depending on how you want to look at it, if you mean where the characters deceive one another there are almost too many to mention. Wher the audience is decieved along with the charcters, or by the characters there are also many, films particularly, that use this as a device - The Crying Game, The Usual Suspects, and a really good one with Edward Norton as the innocent victim who turns out to be the psycho in the end (that i can't for the life of me remember what it was called) and Fight Club.

Rear Window is possibly the most famous example of a film demonstrating that choosing a particular frame, choosing what the audience sees, is in its own way a form of deception, or can lead the captive viewer into self-deception.

Many books also employ quite subtle deception in a way not generally achievable in film, where the narrator (usually seen as an objective teller of the story) is revealed slowly as having an interest in the story themselves and consequently not entirely trustworthy in what they say about what happened - Pnin and Lolita by Nabokov and My Antonia by Willa Cather are classics

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
pknz said:
Ok, I have to write a report on 'deception' for English and then a seminar on the same topic.

Can you guys n gals recommend some films, books or poetry that has a strong deceptive theme or subject.

Currently I am looking into:
The Day of the Jackal
The Matrix
Where Eagles Dare

Thanks
Six Days of The Condor...good book and an easy read