Decide between 2.66 GHz 20" Vs 2.8 GHz 24"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ppm, May 21, 2008.

1. ppm macrumors newbie

I have decided to buy an imac.
    I am unable to decide between the 20" 2.66 GHz & 24" 2.8 GHz

I have been too the apple store and checked out both - I know the 24" display is better than the 20"....

Appreciate your suggestions ...

My Needs.....

* Personal use - self and family including kids.

* Intend to use my imac for web browsing, ms office apps, photography (amateur), making personal videos using ilife and burning DVD, music..
    Want to buy VM ware and install Vista / XP later...

* Would 24" adversely effect my kids eyes compared to 20" - my kid is short sighted & wears glasses. :confused::confused:
    I live in an apartment and plan to keep the imac in the living room corner - will have a viewing distance of 1.5 to 2 feet from the monitor

* Max hours of continuous use - say 3-4 hours.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My roommate just got the 24" 2.8GHz model. It's awesome, definitely go for that.

3. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

24"

If you can afford it, definitely get the 24. No one ever says "man, I wish I had a smaller screen to work with."

;-)

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well both displays have roughly the same PPI (pixels per inch) so I don't think one will cause more eye strain than the other.

Using iMovie is probably the most demanding thing you'll be doing, but you won't see too much of a difference from the faster processor of the 24". If budget is tight, go for the 20". It's great value for money. But of course, the 24" would be the better option and you'll have that warm feeling of knowing you bought the best you could buy at the time. ;)

5. MBp lover macrumors newbie

if you can afford the 24 inch and you are planning to make this a long term use machine, go for that as you will be getting the best of the best and the 24 really has a big difference over the 20 imho

6. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

24" is a good choice i had the 20" then exchanged for the 24" but back to the 20" only because i realized the 24" was too large for my area and i didnt like that i didnt use all of the screen. its all personal opinion, but no matter which way you go you are going to love it. put it this way....its the same computer...just larger and smaller size.:) cant go wrong either way