Decided on a downgrade.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Over the past couple of days I've grown extremely sick of the new firmware. And my frustration is reinforced as I type this very message from my phone. The screen flashing to the top with every character makes typing extremely annoying. The constant Safari crashes. The lag in typing SMS and Safari which, sadly, has returned.

So when I get home tonight, 1 hour and 45 minutes from now, I plan to download 1.1.4 and downgrade my iPhones firmware. The reason I'm posting is strictly cautionary.

Is there any reason, stability or functionality related (excluding the app store of course) that I shouldn't do this? There's only a few apps that I find useful and I can definitely live without them in exchange for a better functioning phone. Plus they'll always be there when apple removes their heads and gives us the stability us pre-2.0 users are missing.

2. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Restarting after 3rd crash of the hour...

Well I'm assuming from the lack of responses that there would be no serious consequences of doing this. I'm really looking forward to having my old phone back.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

downgrading is very difficult. but it can be done. if you think it's lagging, just reset it.

4. Cask Guest

Just make sure you follow the instructions here:

I downgraded my 1st gen in order to sell it unlocked and jailbroken (there was no way to jailbreak 2.0 back then), and didn't have any problem. Some people had problems restoring the old baseband, but I was able to do it easily with bootneuter. Other than that, it should be pretty straightforward.

http://sleepers.net/news/guides/20-to-114-downgrade/

5. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Difficult how? To my knowledge it's as simple as restoring to the old firmware file that can easily be found here in the forums.

No rudeness or disrespect intended but is there something I don't know about that will make this more difficult than I think?

6. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So the original baseband won't be restored when I restore to the old firmware?does this make the phone inoperable or is it just a wall that prevents the restore from going through successfully?

7. Cask Guest

You have to restore the baseband after you have restored the 1.1.4 firmware. I don't know if it makes the phone inoperable, probably if you are a legit AT&T user there would be no problem if your phone keeps the newer baseband. In my case, the phone was unoperable since the newer baseband would not allow the phone to become unlocked. The way I did it is that I restored the 1.1.4 firmware using itunes 7.5, then I jailbroke the phone with iLiberty (loading bootneuter to the iPhone using iLiberty), that way the phone would boot and everything would be usable except phone feautures, after that with bootneuter I restored the original baseband.