Decided on CCC for my new 320gb 2.5 MBP hd!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gomatt, Dec 23, 2007.

1. gomatt macrumors member

Yes it's true, xmas time is here.....

I will be installing my new Western Digital 320gb hd into my macbook pro and had a few questions...

Still having the windows set of mind, didn't even think at first cloning my drive. I was going to put a fresh leopard install on, but then, after thinking of importing, ical, itunes, and getting every app and feature I like installed, think it would be a waste.

Is there any advantage of doing a fresh install? I have a 120gb now almost full, and plan to have the new drive 50gb for windows xp. I have a USB enclosure, and plan to CCC it to the new drive. Then install it, then go to bootcamp utility to add windows. Is this the best way?

How can I slim down my hd now, I have 3gb of printer drives ect, is there any good sites on slimming down your computer ect? or is this not needed?

Matt

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yup. CCC + an external enclosure would be the way I'd tackle it too (have done it that way with several powerbooks/macbooks over recent years).

Personally, I only do a fresh install if I'm in doubt of the condition of the existing installation - it really shouldn't be necessary 99% of the time.

'Slimming down' shouldn't be necessary, although going through prefs and ~/library/application support to clean out any crap left by deleted software is always a good idea =]