Decided to buy a 15" MPB - Please answer this question though

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthewp, Jul 20, 2007.

1. matthewp macrumors member

I wrestled in my head for the last week regarding buying a MacBook or a MacBook Pro and I eventually came to the conclusion that its not worth waiting for a MacBook update, i'll just go for the MacBook Pro.

I want to know, do all 15" MacBook Pro's come with new LED screens? and which would be better, glossy or matte?

I'll be getting the:
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1440 x 900 resolution
    2GB memory
    120GB hard drive1
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

All current 15" models have LED screens.

The glossy or matte comes down to preference. If you don't already know what you prefer you should probably take a look at both in a store. I personally prefer the increased contrast of a glossy screen.

3. matthewp thread starter macrumors member

Did the older MacBook Pro 15" screens also have the option of matte vs glossy? Because the local apple shop only has older (Napa based) models on desplay for some reason?

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Have a look around the forums, and used the search function. Some people are particular about their screens, and there have been numerous threads about whether glossy or matte is better.
    As feelthefire noted, it's up to personal preference, so your best bet is to go to a store and play around with each type. That will help your decision.

6. Jestered macrumors 6502

Exactly.

There have been so many posts about this same question (Glossy vs Matte). There really is no reason for anyone to ask anyone else what they think is better. That is like asking someone if you should get a black or white car. It does not matter what other people like, it is what YOU like.

There are pros and cons for each display depending on personal preference. Go and look at them both and decide which you like better.

7. Andras5soul macrumors member

i got the 15 inch led with matte screen. i use my friend's glossy one a lot and glossy really is only better in the dark. if you will be using your mbp in a darker room then go for the glossy. the matte is much more versatile though.

8. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I perfer the matted screen because I think it's more durable (less likely to scratch) as compared to the glossy. I am also a college student and I bring my notebook to school (which has lots of different lighting depending on what class I'm in). I personally can't stand the glare of the glossy screen in bright light either.

9. hhlee macrumors 6502

matte > glossy.

glossy looks cheesy - matte has style and distinction :cool:

10. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

matte is better for demanding color correction. glossy glares horribly in many different lighting conditions.

11. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Consider the 160Gb HD option.

Don't know about you, but on every computer I've ever owned, it's always the hard drive that I outgrow first. And you can't easily replace the HD in the MBP like you can in the MB.

IMHO, it's well worth the extra £50 unless you're really strapped for cash.

The only catch is you have to buy it from the online Apple store.

Good luck!
    SL

PS: I went for Matte because it matches my Cinema Display.

12. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Glossy all the way for me. Have had both in the past and would never go back to matte. The colour difference is amazing....

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Yes the older core 2 duo mbps did have the option of glossy or matte. I personally perfer matte on a screen 15 inches or bigger. A small screen is ok to have glossy but on a larger screen it tends to catch more reflections

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Have had mine 3 weeks, glossy, but no problems with glare. Rarely even notice any reflections. And yeah, this had been discussed a ton.

15. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It pains me to think of looking at a matte screen.

16. majapapaya macrumors member

majapapaya

I battled the same, glossy or matte?
    I went to the Store to compare. The old MBP.
    For me,
    Glossy: felt brighter thus crisper, but with reflections.
    Matte: didn't feel as bright. obviously because of the matte covering.
    My issue was my poor eye sight I wanted a brighter screen but really wasn't happy with the glossy.

Waited for the new models to come out.
    And, now the new MBP w/LED, the screens are brighter, so I am going to get the matte.

But now there are other issues.
    Everyone is saying how long it is taking for them to get their new MBP, shortages and tech problems.

17. primusrocks macrumors newbie

primusrocks

I literally went over this a million times and sat and thought about it. For me being a college student i thought that the matte in the end would be better than the glossy. Im no video editor or high end student. Just a physio student at a big 10 school and you know what i have no regrets about getting the matte. It looks great and im sure the glossy would too. But for me the colors on the glossy might look good at first but i think that the matte really looks a lot better in the long run.

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you almost wish that Apple didn't provide the choice. It just makes the purchase more confusing.

19. sstern1 macrumors member

Very true. I wish they all just came in Matte so it wouldn't be an issue!

20. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

Scatch Prone?

Just curious, how do the two fare when it comes to scratches? I can't find much documentation on it!