Decided to get a black book or should I wait ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by franzmueller, Jun 15, 2008.

1. franzmueller macrumors regular

Hi

So ... I own 3 ibooks ( 2 x G3 and a 1,2 G4 ) and they have been doing fine since ever ... ok, they are " old " comparing to what´s out nowadays and beside of taking a full day ( 24 hours ) for my G4 to convert a DVD with handbrake for my ipt the rest works fine for me until now ...

So , finally the iphone 3G is going to be released in Spain ( yeah you got it ... I´m going to be one of the **** standing in line to get two ( one for my wife ) as soon as it hits the store and as .MAC member i really wanna use all these new features but for this matter I better have 10,5 ( all my macs are on 10,4 ,11 now since I thought it was not worth upgrading the G3´s ) and ... I had enough of " white " so decided to get the black 2,4 one ... and well 250 GB storage makes sense comparing to 60 GB of my G4 and 30 of the G3´s .

So ... upgrade makes sense ? or should I wait till Sept/ Oct for the new ( supposed ) release ?

Your input is appreciated :eek:

And last but not least .... how fast does a 2,4 engine convert a DVD with handbrake ? ( I hope not 24 hours :()

Thanks

Saludos from Spain

Franz

2. taru91 macrumors regular

taru91

wait

in my opinion, you should wait, because the macbooks and macbook pros will get and update by september or even before. Maybe no design update, but hardware update is good :D. Unless you need the macbook right now, wait a lil bit

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, wait a bit, with the Montevina coming out soon, you'll appreciate the wait. IMHO. It's up to you though, b/c we aren't certain exactly when it's coming out. Converting DVD via HandBrake takes less than one hour on my SOLD BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, very, very fast. :cool:

4. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

an hour ? WOW ... can´t believe it :eek:thats amazing !!!! holly sh.... my ibooks are f*** slow :mad:

So you say wait .... but I care less about better performance .... 2,4 or 2,6 or whatever unless a new design / case ( aluminum maybe ) appears then I may wait but if it´s only more performance then I will go for the actual model ... for the time been 250 Gb HD is for my taste A LOT

And then .... in a few years from now .... that 2,4 Black one will be for sure like my actual G4 .... f*** old ....

Another thing .... The new books works also on older " wifi " airports ? bought mine together with my first Ibook back then in 2003 .

Saludos

Franz

5. mosx macrumors 65816

I just want to chime in and say that encoding speed depends on the quality settings chosen.

Doing a high quality encode (2 pass, high bitrate, full DVD resolution) will take a couple of hours.

If you have no regard for quality and optimize the video for the iPod (or iPhone) screen (320x240, 384Kbps video, 128 audio) then your movie will be done in mere minutes.

You'll definitely be surprised how much faster your MacBook is compared to your old iBooks.

You'll be even more surprised at how hot it gets ;)

6. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well ... my G4 gets pretty " warm " but then .... during our winter time it´s not a bad issue ;)

Thanks for the replies

Saludos

Franz

7. ahaley1986 macrumors member

I was in the same situation as you, but I decided to get a blackbook and couldn't be happier. It is blazing fast and very enjoyable to use. Graphics are slightly glitchy (which montevina will most likely correct), but not a problem. I am also very impressed with the battery life (7hrs for in class taking notes with light amount of browsing the internet when i get bored:cool:) and how quiet it is. I've only been able to hear my fan 2 or 3 times in the 2 weeks I have had it. Hope this helps.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need computer, buy it now; if you are just looking for a replacement and don't really need it now, but it when it's updated; of course buying it now has it's advantages as all the hardware issues should have been ironed out by now.

9. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Hi

Well.... just phoned our local Mac store in Marbella .... looks like it´s going to arrive there tomorrow afternoon .

Yeah ... i think it was time to upgrade .... can´t wait to try the 2,4 engine ;) and at the same time will get a big package of cleaning tissues to keep my finger prints a bit on " control "

Saludos

Franz