Decided to make the purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaenon, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Kaenon macrumors regular

I currently own a mid-2011 21.5" iMac as my home computer, and I haven't had a laptop since early 2011 before I bought the iMac.

I would definitely like something portable and I was between the Surface Pro 3 and the base 13" rMBP. I opted for the mid-2014 13" rMBP a couple days ago, even though I can wait for a Broadwell/Skylake upgrade to the MBP line.

Not having much experience with the Apple computer line, since the rMBP just received a minor spec. bump, do you all think that a new rMBP with Broadwell could be released this year in time for the holidays, so soon after a spec. bump? Or would we be looking at next year?

Thank you for your input!

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

All indications are that the Broadwell based chips will be available sometime in 2015. The original anticipation was sometime in the first quarter. Delays seem to be pushing it to the second quarter.

As to whether you'd see a really noticeable jump in processing speed - probably not. You might see slightly longer battery life (maybe 30-45 minutes), but given that the rMBP has battery life up to 8 hours (depending upon what you currently do), that extra time doesn't amount to all that much.

3. Kaenon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input.

You can never fully keep up with all the latest tech. Unless you have really deep pockets of course -_-/

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Even if you have deep pockets...you end up chasing it down. You get closer with deeper pockets but you still chase. Just buy what you want and enjoy it right NOW.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple did a spec bump because Intel has delayed the Broadwell chipset. So to answer your question there's really no chance that you'll see a Broadwell based MBP in 2014.