Decided to make the switch from PC. MB Pro or wait for next update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Furygoat, Sep 12, 2015.

  1. Furygoat macrumors newbie

    Sep 12, 2015
    Wife and I are finally retiring our PC laptops and making the switch to Mac. Should I go ahead and pull the trigger on a couple of 13" MacBook Pro Retinas or wait and see what comes along next?
  2. SamIchi macrumors 68030


    Aug 1, 2004
    I don't think you can go wrong either way. The MBP's are extremely capable machines. I'd say get it now. Enjoy them. New ones probably won't be announced till next year. Apple products hold a pretty good value, so a simple upgrade wouldn't be hard if you want the latest versions.
  3. Mivo, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

    Mivo macrumors regular


    Jan 23, 2015
    When are the next models due? (Just an approximate.)

    Like the OP, I have been looking into switching to a MBR (in my case it's because I'm not comfortable with where MS goes with Windows), though I'd definitely want a 15.3" MBR (and even that strikes me as small, I'm used to 17" laptops). It's not urgent since my present laptop is only fourteen months old.

    edit: Just read the most recent pages of the stickied Skylake thread. Okay, so I guess nothing has been announced and unconfirmed rumors mention January and March. So in my case, waiting seems to be the best course of action.
  4. macenied, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

    macenied macrumors 6502a


    Aug 20, 2014
    As for me, I will not wait for Skylake and go to for the early 2015 rMBP 13". They are a very nice and powerful package, certainly good for the next couple of years. Beside the SSD they come with very competitive pricing. Base models from US and EU ( 8/128 ) can be bought for USD 1200 respective GBP 770, new. The EU model comes from the UK and is important for EU tax purposes and if you need of a different keyboard layout ( non US ). The availability of SSD capacity upgrades ( non Apple ) can be expected soon, IMO.
  5. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

    Oct 5, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wait! Current MBP are full price. Unless I could get a good discount on the 2015 when the new models show, I would just wait and buy the new model, whenever they arrive.
  6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040


    Apr 13, 2010
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Depends if you can wait until late Q1 2016 for the updates or not.
  7. SamIchi macrumors 68030


    Aug 1, 2004
    They're always full price. Apple never gives discounts besides their education one. Amazon has a little bit of a better price.

    To OP An alternative would be to get one of their refurbished ones. Refurbs are excellent, they're pretty much brand new. I've bought plenty of Apple Refurbs. So you can buy an older model (or current) and when the new ones come out, you can sell the old one and get the new ones, no waiting! I have a feeling though that you'll be really happy with what you got. Keeping up with tech releases really is draining, although fun :) that's why we're all here right?
  8. hallux macrumors 68030


    Apr 25, 2012
    Check the refurbished section, you can save 15% on a mid-2015 by buying from there. The only downside is that you get what's available there, no BTO. If you want a 2.7/8/128, 2.7/8/256 or a 2.9/8/512, they have those on the site. The Apple refurbished all carry Apple's 1 year warranty and are as good as, if not better than, new.
  9. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Mar 14, 2008
    With no stated intended usage, any one who offered an answer to your question is just stabbing in the dark.

    What do you use a computer for? That should tell us whether you could profit from an update or could save money by going used/refurbished.

    Kind of like saying "I need a car, should I wait for next year's model?". Well, what do you do with a car? Do your needs dictate a compact or a huge SUV? See what I mean?
  10. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a


    Jun 4, 2013
    Macbooks don't hop up enough in spec to justify waiting. If this were a rMB thread... sure there may be big changes but not a Pro or even an Air.
  11. Acorn macrumors 68020


    Jan 2, 2009
    I think the update will be before next year. The model thats out now is early 2015 retina macbook pro. usually there is a early model and a late model. They should release another model called late 2015 retina macbook pro. It would be unusual to only have 1 model version a year. There is usually at least 1 minor update later in the year. There is still 3 full months left in the year. I expect to see an update before oct 30.
  12. junkw macrumors regular

    Jun 25, 2010
    I am waiting for Thunderbold 3 to run a capable external GPU suitable for Oculus Rift
  13. AlphaPoppy macrumors member

    Aug 4, 2013
    Yeah I'm debating this too. I really need it for my college classes but don't know whether to wait or not.
  14. badpinoy macrumors regular

    Oct 25, 2007
    they have just updated the refurb store. worth taking a look at.
  15. creamz macrumors member


    Feb 2, 2015
    You could be right. My current 13 MBP is stated as Early 2015. They could have a silent late 2015 update anytime soon as the Skylake processor is already out and everyone else are putting this processors into their new PCs.
  16. Queen6 macrumors 603


    Dec 11, 2008
    Enjoying Better Things
    Sklylake will not be a big performance improvement for the 13" Retina, what may be more significant is if Apple chooses to launch a new design, equally this may also work against you dependant on your usage/workflow as the inclusion of USB C is given.

    As for speculation on the "refresh" up to six months, and as has been stated outlining your planned usage will help you get a better answer, you may find the 12" Retina MacBook is more suited or need to push to the 15" Retina Pro.

  17. Significant1 macrumors 6502

    Dec 20, 2014
    The biggest benefit of skylake in 13" Macbook Pro, is that Iris branded GPU's get 64MB L4 cache.
  18. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030


    Aug 1, 2010
    I always say buy a computer when you need it, not when you think the next upgrade is coming out. We're still only about halfway through the product cycle for the current Pro models, so if you wait for the next one, you'll be waiting awhile. Up to you as far as how long you're willing to wait.
  19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    There won't be, intel releaeased the chip release dates and the ones for the macbook pro's won't be with us until next year they can't update without the hardware.
  20. Badrottie Suspended


    May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I am glad you made a right move to Apple from Windows PC!! We all are happy for you!
  21. SDAVE macrumors 68040


    Jun 16, 2007
    Mid 2014 rMBP, they're about $1800, and imo its a steal if you can get it without tax.

    Then sell it and get the Skylake version which is probably 6+ months away.
  22. HarryWild macrumors 6502a


    Oct 27, 2012
    What happen to the 15" refurbish models in the Apple Store?
  23. SDAVE macrumors 68040


    Jun 16, 2007
  24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god


    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If it's not necessary, the question is always the same.

    How badly do you want it? It's always advantageous to wait.
  25. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

    Oct 12, 2011
    I think that's a good philosophy. But I guess my problem with that is feeling like you got ''duped'' when the newer one comes out. I guess this is something that I still have from childhood (buys Gameboy Pocket and a few months later Gameboy Color arrives).

    For example, I need something that's much faster and reliable for school (HP STREAM 13) but don't want to get stuck in ''dang, if only I wanted a couple more months''. Of course the other problem is being stuck in the upgrade loop.

Share This Page