Price Advice Decided to sell my mac, how much do you think I could get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by onirocdarb, Mar 31, 2013.

1. onirocdarb macrumors regular

A cousin of mine mentioned needing a new laptop so I decided to sell her mine.
    It is a mid 2010 13" MBP baseline model (2.4ghz duo, 4gb, 250gb hdd). I have kept it very clean, it looks pretty close to out of the box.
    On ebay most are around 600, some cheaper and some more expensive depending on the condition. I offered $750 on the contingent that I include all 3 seasons of arrested development (ripped) and Microsoft Office.

Does this seem like a fair deal?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The TV show could be worth 0 to someone. I would not pay extra to have a TV show I do not like on a computer. MS Office is another story. I would pay 625-50.

3. simsaladimbamba

You do not have the right to sell the ripped TV show, unless you include the actual DVDs with the sale, the same goes for MS Office, if you do not include the medium they came with, you cannot sell it.

Mac2Sell, Gazelle or eBay (Việt Nam, Türkiye, Česká republika, Hanguk) might be good price checkers.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I agree I wouldn't even look at it for more than $625. There's a ton of these 13'' cMBP.

----------

Considering the OP is selling to their cousin, I don't think the FBI is going to come knocking on his door.

5. simsaladimbamba

Probably not, but what if the cousin wants to reinstall MS Office? Anyway, if it stays in the family, that Family/Home license the OP might have, will cover the legality. I just wanted to point it out, since one can have ripped TV shows for less and even AD can be had for 45 USD and much less.

6. onirocdarb thread starter macrumors regular

I would say I'm selling the tv shows, just throwing it in as a bonus becuase we both love the show. I guess it is a bit of a gray area....:)

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

$750 seems pretty steep for a 2010 model.

You can get a 2012 13" Air from Apple's refurbished store for $250 more, and that includes a 1 year warranty.

8. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

9. bbapps macrumors regular

Come on, it's your cousin!!!!!

10. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

lol id give it to my cousin for $0

11. trikky macrumors regular

It's not a grey area. You are in breach of copyright laws. Based on your original post, you are charging a higher amount for the computer, based on the inclusion of these copied TV shows and software. You can do whatever you want, but these 'bonuses' have zero value as part of an overall transaction.

The fact you're charging your cousin a higher price than she could get elsewhere shows you're clearly not close to your cousin. :) As for the copyright infringement? Not that I'm encouraging such behaviour, but if you were a nice cousin you would given it to her already...and certainly not giving it a value in excess of $100.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Being that it's family I would sell it for a lot less than market value if you're even thinking of exchanging money.

Market value I would place it around $600 if it's in mint conditon, so to your cousin maybe $400?

13. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would say.....

$500-650 tops. Good care of the machine, AppleCare (if any) and no functional or cosmetic issues can help in the price. But I suppose, in family is more easy to bargain?

And about the shows and MS Office, above posters had said plenty about legal/not legal stuff.

:):apple:

14. onirocdarb thread starter macrumors regular

Didnt know I had a steep price..... 650 works

15. utekineir macrumors 6502

Yes you did.

You figured you could jack up the cost to someone that didn't know better by including what is essentially free with a bit of torrenting.