Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
So 3 times so far I have showered with the watch, I figured I have Apple Care Plus, so lets give it a try lol.

The first time I totally forgot that it was on and jumped in the shower, so I decided while in there Id have fun with it, so I sent my wife a smiley face text and told her now she can say she received a text from the shower, she just looked at me like I was a moron hahahaha.

The other 2 times I did it so I can wipe down the white band just to keep it clean. I have no desire to shower with it often but figured since I have Apple Care on it and have seen countless people who shower with it, swim with it, etc why not try it out :)

Useless thread but I wanted to share.

Reactions: asfalloth

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Technically is not waterproof and Apple suggests not even showering with it, so I AM LIVING ON THE EDGE!! lol

False. It is rated IPX7 so technically waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes. Apple merely does *not recommend* submerging it, but didn't say anything about showering with it (unless you count Tim Cook's off remark).

* From Apple's documents:

The use of the words must, must not, required, shall, shall not, should, should not, recommended, not recommended, may, optional, and deprecated in a statement have the following meanings:

must, shall, or required means the statement is an absolute requirement.

must not, shall not or prohibited means the statement is an absolute prohibition.

should or recommended means the full implications must be understood before choosing a different course.

should not or not recommended means the full implications must be understood before choosing this course.

may or optional means the statement is truly optional, and its presence or absence cannot be assumed.

deprecated means the statement is provided for historical purposes only and is equivalent to 'must not'.

Reactions: dilap and Rok73

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I took mine in the shower a few times. Feels "wrong" to have a piece of electronic equipment in the water but it was fine. I plan to take mine swimming at some point. I also got AppleCare+ just in case. But since it's not strictly forbidden to be in water, I believe water damage would be covered under normal warranty unless they have some way to prove you "abused" it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But since it's not strictly forbidden to be in water, I believe water damage would be covered under normal warranty unless they have some way to prove you "abused" it.

Correct. There's no way they can prove you took it outside the scope of the IPX7 rating (1 meter deep for 30 minutes) so you'd have to let the cat out of the bag on that.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Never showered with it. Kind of nervous to do so. I have heard horror stories of the mic not working after they use it in the shower. I have Apple care but I also don't want to spend even a dollar more on my watch...

blitzwing

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
swam with it for 45 mins twice. good way to track a swimming workout but note that the touch screen doesn't work too well with water.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've seen a lot people commenting in various threads that they shower with it. Is that any worse then running it under running water to fix a sticky crown? I don't think so. I don't shower with it, but its more that I'd rather leave it off when I shower.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I don't see the point - I can wear my glasses in the shower, but I don't do that either. It also seems to me that soap and shampoo can leave residue that may not be good for the watch. Also, if you're at all careless and the watch falls, it's unlikely to survive intact.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I've seen a lot people commenting in various threads that they shower with it. Is that any worse then running it under running water to fix a sticky crown? I don't think so. I don't shower with it, but its more that I'd rather leave it off when I shower.

Yeah not something I plan to do often, the first time was completely by accident but the other 2 times I figured wasnt a big deal. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah not something I plan to do often, the first time was completely by accident but the other 2 times I figured wasnt a big deal. :)
I haven't done it yet with the AW, but I've run in the rain with my fitbit surge, and the AW is even more waterproof (I believe), since I got soaked on those runs, I don't think a shower will hurt it :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't see the point - I can wear my glasses in the shower, but I don't do that either. It also seems to me that soap and shampoo can leave residue that may not be good for the watch. Also, if you're at all careless and the watch falls, it's unlikely to survive intact.

I am afraid there does not need to be a point. I can't see it either but it is good to know if you get caught in a rain storm or fall overboard your watch is good. I have fallen overboard three times so you just never know these days!

Last edited:
Reactions: C7 POWER

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't wear mine in the shower, but I'd be more worried about it falling on my bathroom tile floor removing it before I shower than dropping it in the shower.

Who says you have to remove it in the bathroom? I just keep mine on the night stand until after I shower. In fact, I have a habit of always putting on my watch over my bed.

Reactions: xaqt93

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Who says you have to remove it in the bathroom? I just keep mine on the night stand until after I shower. In fact, I have a habit of always putting on my watch over my bed.

That wasn't exactly the point of my post. The point was when removing it or putting it on is the only time I worry about it falling. Also I no longer stick my arm out the window when driving with the windows down because I am not sure I trust the sport band enough against high winds.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
That wasn't exactly the point of my post. The point was when removing it or putting it on is the only time I worry about it falling. Also I no longer stick my arm out the window when driving with the windows down because I am not sure I trust the sport band enough against high winds.

Hence why I've gotten into the habit of removing and putting on my watch over my bed (even though I have the link bracelet, which you need to insert your hand through before clasping it).

However, I'm pretty sure your sport band is more secure than that. It's intended for sport activities so it takes much more than high winds.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Hence why I've gotten into the habit of removing and putting on my watch over my bed (even though I have the link bracelet, which you need to insert your hand through before clasping it).

However, I'm pretty sure your sport band is more secure than that. It's intended for sport activities so it takes much more than high winds.

Right I assumed that with the over the bed comment.

I think you are probably right about the winds, but I go to stick my hand out the window and I see visions of me pulling over the find my watch which has been run over. I really would like a good space gray steel band like Apple's version for a reasonable price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.