Deciding b/w Macbook and MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FUBAR16, Jun 5, 2007.

1. FUBAR16 macrumors newbie

Long time Mac user, looking to get my first Intel based Mac. I really love the black Macbook, but I'm wondering if I should opt for the MBP instead. here's what I'll use it for:

-Tons of email/web/bitorrent type stuff.
    -Lots of iTunes, Garageband and a lot of iPhoto, some light photoshop work.
    -A little bit of iMovie/iDVD

Now that I actually wrote this down, it seems like the new Macbooks might be perfect. But any reason to consider the MBP based on my usage?

Thanks!

2. island macrumors 6502

island

Basically we do the same things and I enjoy the MacBook just fine but sometimes I wish I had the bigger screen. The video card shouldn't effect either of us unless we do heavy video stuff or games.

You can always hook up a external monitor to the MacBook but you can never take the larger size of the MacBook Pro away...

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

4. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yes the MacBook, i'm doing all of that on a G4.

Rich.

5. dcv macrumors G3

Sounds like the MacBook would be ideally suited to your needs and if you actually "love" the Black MacBook there's no need to be looking at the MBP!

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I'll be the 5th then to go with the MacBook recommendation :p . Although if you really want the MacBook Pro and can afford it, why not buy it? I'm sure not too many here would fault you for that :D

7. nikza macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am about to buy my first Mac and I have the same delema..

What about a MacBook handling multitasking such as music, bitorrents, browsing

and some office document?

I know that the black Macbook is capable of handling HD video,

if it can handle all that I guess a black MacBook would be adequate for my

needs.

Oh, and one last thing,

is there a great difference between the LCD monitor of MB and MBP?

Thank You.

8. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Another vote for the MacBook

I have a black MB 2GHz C2D and a MBP 15" 2.16GHz C2D. Both have 2GB RAM.

Unless you're doing serious video work, it's amazing how similar the two machines are ... except for the price :eek:

For the price of the MB you can spend the money on an external monitor that you drive at a higher res and you'll still be ahead. Oh and 2GB is a HUGE difference over 1GB in everything you do from boot time to opening apps etc. Worth the upgrade and easy to do yourself.

9. FUBAR16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the great feedback, guys! I think you helped me decide. I'm going with the dual quad-core Mac Pro! Kidding....the black Macbook it is!

10. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Nice choice Sir!

The Black book is hot.

Rich.

11. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Good choice, the Macbook is perfect for your needs, although I do suggest an external :)

12. StratoMAC macrumors newbie

I also love the black book, but here are some thoughts about the new MBP for you to consider:

* LED screen will give better battery life
    * LED screen has no mercury so is better for the environment
    * can choose matte screen if the glares on glossy bother you (they do me)
    * the backlit keyboard is AWESOME and is higher quality
    * the metal is sexy
    * rumor has it that new MBP's don't have the wifi connectivity issues the prior generation of MBP's had
    * higher resale value down the road

I'm trying to decide between the blackbook and the middle end 15" MBP myself and will do the same things on it that you plan to. Therefore, I understand the black MB will do all you need it to do. But the above-listed advantages to the MBP could be worth the price. There is one significant advantage that the MB has, however, in my opinion: 13.3" size. The 15 inch MBP is simply too big and that is the ONLY reason I haven't bought a new MBP this week. Now I sit and try to decide if I want to wait for the rumored 12" MBP.....:eek:

13. FUBAR16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I'm also big on the size, that's a very key factor for me (ughh, that sounded horrible!). I used to have the 15" Powerbook and it was tough to carry around. I currently have the 12" Powerbook and it's a little champ, but 13" would be perfect.

I gotta take a closer look at the glossy display, that could be a bit annoying. But on a sexy scale, I think the black got the edge. The metal is getting a little boring for me.

Any comments on the bus speeds? I think the MBP is at 800MHz and the MB is at 667MHz.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Speedwise I don't think there is that much in it, excepting GPU performance. Front bus speed is a little higher but memory speeds are the same.