Deciding between 2 monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tac22, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tac22 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to decide between 2 monitors, its going to be an second screen for my aluminum 20" iMac and used for xbox 360 gaming

The ones i'm looking at are dells,
    the first one there is a long old thread on it you may have read here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=608880

and here is the link to the monitor http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7641

I like this one becuase it has a slighter bigger screen, but personally its not the prettiest thing, and i hate the stand its on

THe second one i'm considering is slightly smaller 21.5 inch
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...px?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7976#reviews

Its stand looks better, more like the aluminum on the iMac, a little cheaper in price, but idk

So which one would you get... or would you recommend for me
    If you have any question i shall answer

2. macboy4 macrumors regular

I agree... the 21" is more aesthetically pleasing, but I have the 23" and it's fantastic for the price. Plus, the extra high resolution is fantastic!

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I'd go for the 21.5" ... it will look better with the imac than the other one...plus its cheaper...

buy the 23" only if you need higher resolution or bigger screen size (its just 1.5" difference...which is not very noticeable.)

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'd go for the higher resolution 23". You'll appreciate the higher res a lot more. I mean how often do you really even look at what kind of stand a monitor has when it's sitting on your table?

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I like the smaller monitor a whole lot more. The difference in the resolution is pretty marginal. The smaller monitor simply appears to be built better than the bigger one, which in my opinion has a not very attractive, plastic look to it. Looks cheap.

6. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I just noted the bezel on the 23 inch one is glossy, while i don't mind the glossy screen, i already have a 50 inch tv that bugs the hell out of me becuase of the glossy border. Plus a lot of reviews while most love it, a lot of people say it has bad viewing angles... and this screen i'm going to be viewing at a slight angle.

So i might be leaning towards the 21.5 inch not glossy bezel now.

7. Seo macrumors regular

My recommendation is the 2209WA monitor. It's quite popular among budget photographers. Here's a thread on it: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=634520.

The main reason I suggest this monitor (among others, some inherent) is because the two monitors you linked to are TN (twisted nematic) monitors, while the 2209WA uses IPS technology (same as your iMac's screen). This has many benefits, including much higher color reproduction (ignore the spec sheet, those 16.7 million colors are faked through dithering), better viewing angles, etc. How do I know the color reproduction spec is bologna? Because TN monitors reproduce colors with only 6 bits per color instead of 8. As for the reason I know both are TN monitors, the second link says in the tech specs, and I can tell from the 2ms response time on the first spec sheet.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

If you need a 23" monitor with a sharp picture, the SP2309W is great. I'm typing this message on it right now! I LOVE the resolution on it (2048x1152). Perfect 16x9 for watching movies. If you want something with the best color accuracy, pixel response rates, etc, I'd look elsewhere, though. I mean it really does deliver an AMAZING VALUE. You can find this thing for less than $250 shipped online. You'll enjoy it. However, go with an IPS panel if you're going to be doing a lot of gaming and/or you're picky about the colors being perfect and screen refresh rate. I would more recommend this monitor to anyone who just needs a big monitor for browsing the web, document creation, etc.