Deciding between both 2011 15" MBP models

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ice Dragon, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I don't really want integrated graphics, I would prefer discrete hence why I have ruled out the 13" models for now and I also like quad core.

8 GB memory is a no brainer for me as is an SSD (although I still need to do my research on the models but I may just use the Apple one since almost SSDs are better than regular hard drives).

So this leads me down to one issue: GPU...

I am not a gamer so a huge video card is important but not extremely crucial.

As I get into the Mac world, I would like to mess around with Final Cut Pro, Aperture, and other programs that take full advantage of the memory.

AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5 vs. AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

Pros and Cons... help lead me

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

No heavy (professional) HD video or photo editing?
    no heavy 3D?
    No heavy gaming?

Then just get the base 15", you'll be great with that. I have last gen base i5 15" and work a lot with FCP and aperture, with no problems.

3. simsaladimbamba

Video editing applications like FCP, iMovie, FCE or Avid MC do not really take full advantage of the GPU, and if the footage is properly transcoded, which will be done by the CPU, then the editing process is quite easy on the CPU and hardly touching the GPU.

4. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Being new to the game; yeah, nothing heavy right now. As sufficient as the dual-core i5 and i7 are, I'd prefer going full force for quad.

Thank you both... my decision is set, now just setting aside the funds. :D

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

That's the point, if mine is doing very well with them, with only 2 cores on the 2,4 i5, why the new ones with quad cores won't?

People should stop buying things based on numbers or speed, just get what you really need, not what you think you will.

6. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I definitely see what you're saying and I don't think the 13" models are anything to sneer at. My thing is that I would much prefer having the graphics not leech off of the RAM with the quad core over dual core just being a bonus for my first Mac.

If it was just the 17" that had the quad core as was previously rumored, I'd just stick with the 13".

Edit: Forgot to mention, I also want the high res option as well.