Deciding between late 2014 MBp vs early 2015 MBp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gen66, Mar 20, 2015.

1. gen66 macrumors newbie

the 256gb models in question. I still can't decide :( Hope you guys can help me a bit..

Price difference will be 220 USD from where I'm getting them. So is the new one worth 220$ on top?

1. I would use mostly mouse instead of the new force trackpad.
    2. CPU and graphics speed advantages are kind of negligible for everyday tasks I guess...
    3. I don't care about the battery life.

However some things do make me buy the new MBP but I'm not sure how valid are they, may be you can help me here :

1. Twice as fast SSD speeds on the new one. (on the other thread I posted people say it will be the same and won't notice much difference)

2. Resale value ( if I want to sell it in 1 or 2 years it will be easier I guess and will keep more price value than the older one)

3. Due to 14nm CPU, is the new one more silent, would the fan on the MBp go generally less noisy than the previous model? Since I never had an MBp I don't know how noisy they are, but I'm obsessed with silence, so do you think there will be improvement in the new version in regards to the noise?

4. A guy told me that for some reason the new MBp has a better retina display (contrast, brightness, colours wise) , I'm doubting this a lot, but it's worth checking if it's true, anyone heard something about this?

Thank you guys!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For 220 bucks more, get the newer one. You're right the differences are largely negligible, but there are some differences that help out.

Think of it this way, your spending over a grand for a new computer, don't quibble over a couple of hundred.

3. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Agree with the above. But thatʻs me. Some may want to save the 220.

4. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Sounds like you need a desktop not a laptop! J/k

I went from a Mid 2014 rMBP 13" 2.6 GHz, 256GB, 8GB RAM to the new Early 2015 rMBP 2.7GHz, 256GB, 8GB RAM.

The SSD in the new one is indeed twice the speed according to the Blackmagic disk speed test I did, but in reality I don't notice the difference. I've really grown to like the new force touch trackpad better. It will help future resale value as a couple years from now it will be standard and most ppl will prefer it over the old trackpad. I do notice the new one is slightly better at staying a bit cooler in the same tasks where the old one would get hot and the fan kick in earlier. The display is EXACTLY the same in every way, so don't believe what you heard there.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Depends whats more important to you

If cutting edge tech is what you want spend the money.

If you'd rather have the cash and a computer that will be just about as good for most tasks get last years one.

If silence is really your thing get the new rMB in April and go fanless...

6. gen66, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

gen66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahaha, it does sound like I need a desktop hhaha :)

Thank you for the info, really helpful! :) I think I already decided for the new one, just because of one single factor, after 2 years the price gap in the resale value between those two models shouldn't change much probably, it would remain 180 to 220$, so it doesn't matter how much I pay now if I resale for higher price. It would be really bad though if the price gap gets smaller with time and after 3 and a half years it's like 30-40$ :D I'm not sure, may be someone who understands how the market works in this market segment may help us :)

7. zenfloater macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide what to do myself. I just got a 2014 13" refurb at a killer price 8GB/256 $910 inclusive of tax.

I'm considering getting a 2015 13" 16GB/256 but there is a significant price increase and I'm not sure if the better graphics card is worth it IMO. I couldn't care less about the force touchpad at this point but it may be something to look at in a year or so when application usage catches up.

Any thoughts?

8. gen66 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, don't get the new one, unless you are pro gamer on a mac book and play dota 2 24/7 :D There will be some increase in the FPS. For any kind of pro video editing I think the older graphics is sufficient. But at this price that you got it.....just be keep it and be happy :)

9. zenfloater macrumors newbie

That's what I am thinking! It's either that or forget the 16G RAM upgrade on the 2015 and go with the baseline 8G/256 2015 model for about $250 more. Ughh decisions decisions! What do you think?

10. thadoggfather, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

i got mid 2014 so I could load mavericks. not sold on Yosemite yet. the savings is nice too.

i tap to click 95% of the time and not worried about resell value, my air i spent $900 at the time after a discount almost three and a half years ago I got $400 for a couple of days ago. Not bad but not great. I don't think Force Touch will make much of a difference, retina itself will.

a computer is an investment in terms of your use with it, not financially.

again, imo

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You got

A great laptop at a great price don't second guess it the new ones really aren't much different.

12. zenfloater macrumors newbie

I do notice some heat at the bottom of the 2014, will the 2015 run much cooler than this one? Also, is the extra hour of battery life exaggerated or actual?

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I don't know I don't have a new one...

but all laptops heat up when you run them hard no matter what they are and metal ones transmit that heat it may run abit cooler but I can't imagine tou'll be able to tell too much difference.

As for battery life well if you are running light tasks and getting 9 hours then yeah i'd imagine so. If you are gaming and getting 3 hours I'd imagine you get an extra 20 minutes....

14. gen66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah god damn it...after all this brainstorming and thinking I came around a brand new Mid 2014 128GB, for 920 USD final price, I think I'm getting this one, do you guys think is a good price?

15. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The new 13" is not much faster. 128gb would be too small for my needs but it sounds like a good deal. Persoanlly, quad core i7 is where it's at. But I need the 4 cores for rendering I do.

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The high end cutting edge spec's make a difference if you are pushing your computer a 100% all the time. But from your description of your use cases - most of the time you will be well within the capability envelope of the 2014 (or maybe even the 2013) MBP's. As for resale, after a few years, there will not be $220 worth of difference between the 2014 and 2015 MBP's. And, keeping today's money in hand is always worth more than tomorrow's promise. I would recommend getting the late 2014 MBP.