Deciding between MBP and iMac for college student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dotherocawear, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dotherocawear macrumors newbie

I'm a lifelong mac user so I'm naturally looking for another mac to upgrade from my 2nd generation black macbook which I'm selling to my cousin.

Two part question here: For those that have been through college already, do you think the extra power and screen size (13" is killing me) is worth an iMac, or am I better off sticking with the still somewhat powerful and a lot more portable MBP?

Second, when to buy? I have until mid-March to get my laptop to my cousin and ideally I'd have a new computer before that so I could transfer all of my files without an intermediate external drive. I know they usually make announcements like this in January but it seems that all I've been hearing is about the supposed tablet, and the possible multitouch iMac in the second half of this year (which is unfortunately too long for me to wait).

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I say definitely a MacBook Pro, portability is a big thing in college.

I would be shocked if there is not a notebook update by mid-March. Either next week or sometime in February.

If you could wait until the spring, you could take advantage of a Back-to-School program that will likely exist, in which college students can get essentially a free iPod touch with purchase of a new machine.

Also, wait until you have a student ID so that you can take advantage of the EDU store and its pricing.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you're studying, but few college majors would actually benefit from "more power."

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Consider getting a portable mac - be it 13 or 15 - and an external monitor. The monitor will give you extra real estate when you're back in your room and the mb or mbp will give you the flexibility to take notes in class or work somewhere other than your room.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Isn't BTS usually June-Aug?

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It isn't, I guess I count June as spring... my bad.

7. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    I suggest you wait for them to get updated, and get a 15" or 17" MBP. You need portability, they have it. You need power, they have it. The 15" and 17" MBP are most likely getting updated to Arrandale next week, even better. I think they would be the best compromise for you.

8. Paul B macrumors 6502

I'm not a student anymore, but isn't the educational discount year-round? If it's different from BTS, I assume there are bigger discounts during that period?

+1 getting a 13" and a big external monitor.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Educational discount is year-round. BTS gives you a rebate on an iPod so they can clear stock.

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

11. dotherocawear thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the quick replies. For clarification, I'm actually halfway through college but I was looking for perspective from those that have already been through it all. Also my English major certainly does not necessitate computing power but I use Photoshop and like my Warcraft with more than the 2fps I'm getting on my current Macbook ;)

12. thleeal macrumors regular

just a thought.....

just a thought, but have you considered getting the imac and something like an iphone as your setup. as your a student, you should be able to get a free ipod touch and a free printer. i find that i browse a lot and watch a lot of vids online, all of which an ipod can do.

juuust a thought.........

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Taking notes on a iPhone...

14. Ardoptres macrumors regular

15. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Just to clarify for everyone: the free ipod deal is summer-only in the US and is for higher-ed students only. The free printer with a mac rebate deal is for EVERYONE anytime (if you're buying on line and can't find the link with the info, ask a chat agent to send you the link).

16. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

My vote is for the MBP. You retain portability and if you're concerned with screen size, you can use a external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Also, if you're worried about a new release, wait another week.

I gave my black 2007 MacBook to my cousin back in June and purchased a 13" MBP when they came out. I'm very happy with the performance upgrade. It's a wonderful Mac with a fantastic display. You'll definitely notice a difference.

Congrats on your new Mac!

Habitus :apple:

17. pacers721 macrumors member

second