Deciding between these 3 laptops

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GrimmPenguin, Jan 5, 2008.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

Here are the 3 laptops:
    - PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz with specs maxed out
    - MacBook CD 2GHz
    - MacBook C2D 2GHz

I was wondering what the prices of these usually run refurbed/used. I can't seem to find anything on lowendmac.com for the Core Duo model MacBooks.

My first question is concerning the Intel GMA 950 graphics in the MacBooks. I was wondering if the graphics are good enough to play Final Fantasy XI using Windows XP. FFXI requires a NVIDIA GeForce series or ATI RADEON 9000 series 32mb graphics card. Is the GMA 950 equivalent to this? If the graphics are not suitable, I plan to just stick with a PowerBook possibly, depending on the price range for the MacBook CD model.

I'm looking at a spending $800-900 max. Also, I will have to buy a USB 56k modem since I am a dial-up user, so that will be an extra $50.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get a MacBook Pro if you're going to play FFXI.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Of those 3 choices, I would go with the Macbook C2D.

4. 6mt15 macrumors member

GMA 950 has nothing on the dedicated graphics cards...to play any graphically intensive games you are going to need the powerbook, or bite the bullet and just look for nice macbook pro used somewhere. I don't even think the GMA X3100 in the SR macbooks would handle FFXI

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If a macbook with x3100 will not do it, a G4 with nvidea 5200 go is surely not going to fare any better. The hit to the CPU alone should make most new games unplayable (not to mention that the graphics, while dedicated, are garbage).

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can find all three of these for varying prices @ Macofalltrades, though the rarest will be the CD Macbook. When those are there, though, I see them for $900 before shipping. IIWU, I'd get an intel book, as either C(2)D will far outperform the G4. These days, G4 Powerbooks sell high because the sellers take advantage of the buyer's desire to have a Mac for cheap, but IMO, it really isn't worth it to pay more than $500 for *any* pre-Intel Apple machine. Don't invest in obsolete technology; go with one of the more recent models (Macbook, etc).

7. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Eidorian: Due to my budget limit, I highly doubt that a MBP would sell for 800-900 bucks. Also, I'm wanting something more portable. If I did play FFXI on a MacBook, I would hook it up to my larger monitor at home.

6mt15: You do know that the game is not graphically intensive in current times right? The game was released in 2003 and it only requires 32mb of VRAM. Also, due to the fact that the PB's cannot boot Windows (FFXI is Windows only), I will have to go with a MacBook.

So what's an average price difference in the CD model and the C2D model?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Any recent 3D game is pretty much unplayable on the GMA950.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its not only games, some apps such as Disco, need better graphics than the GMA950

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Run from PPC Mac...fast as you can!

My iBook G4 is a great little Mac, but the only reason I still have it is because its little(and I'm broke)

Intel Mac are much better...almost a must in 2008

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

wait ffxi (online right?) on dialup.

you are really pushing it, gma950 is decent if you turn everything off. (but then its ugly).

i would stay away from g series anything unless for a few things (like a storage server)

save up for this MBP, older 1200ish. you'll be much happier.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really think the fact that you want to play FFXI on it is really killing your options. If you want a computer in that price range that will play it I believe this is the time when I say get a PC. (stop it fanboys who are fainting all around).
    Unfortunately I do not believe any of those machines will run FFXI smoothly but the PB 12" may. That's a mighty "may" though. Either do that or save for a used MBP. If they release something new on the MBP side then the older, and still very capable, MBPs will go up for sale.

13. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Would it be feasible with the X3100 graphics processor? I might could wait a few more months and squeeze a couple hundred from my parents. If the X3100 is still a problem, I might just grin and bear and just put a graphics card in my desktop. Problem there is, I planned to give my desktop to my mother if I got an Intel Mac since her computer is from '99 and hasn't been upgraded one bit...

If these rumors of an ultra-portable just so happens to be a 13" MBP, I'll go for it, if it is to come true. I would love to get a MBP, but honestly, I'm more worried about portability and size than FFXI. 15" is just too big for me.

jessica.: If it wasn't for GarageBand and my music, I would definately go for a PC laptop. Thanks for that advice!

14. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, believe it or not, it is possible. I've even seen people play WoW without llag. The only latency happens when there is a LOT of things going on or something large is loading like a scene or updates. However, you can't be doing anything like downloading music or surfing the web in the background.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Lag != low frames per second

The GMA X3100 is somewhere between a GeForce Go 5650 and 6200.

16. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Hrm... well the box says that it recommends a GeForce FX series processing unit with 64mb of VRAM.

Sorry if I'm making this seem difficult. I'm not too familiar with graphic cards. I've really never had to care about what one I use until now.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Please take the box as a grain of salt.

Aim for something far beyond the GeForce FX and Radeon 9000.

18. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Would playing FFXI with GMA X3100 be doable? As long as it works decently, I'm fine. I'm not too concerned with pristine graphics.