Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcepiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
After a nice tour of duty with my 2008 MBP 2.4/4gb ram/250gb HD I think it's time to upgrade to one of the rMBPs.

I've just about reached max capacity on my hard drive so I think I'll need the 512GB on the rMBP. I'm having trouble decide between the following stock models:

rMBP - 2.6 ghz - 8gb RAM - 512 gb flash
or
rMBP - 2.7 ghz - 16gb RAM - 768gb flash

The difference is almost $800 so I thought I'd consult all of you on here. I read quite about about how it is good to time-proof the computer with the RAM upgrade. Playing with a 2.3ghz rMBP in the store, I'd imagine the 2.6 would be blazing already.

My main use of the computer is as a double machine with Windows installed with BootCamp. I do a lot of high intensity flight simulating on that side of the machine. On the apple side, I do a lot of Final Cut Pro.

Any thoughts? Will the difference between the 2.6/8gb ram and 2.7/16gb ram be that noticeable?

Thanks for your help!!

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Your situation sounds like a "max memory" type of scenario so I think you'd be wise to get the 16gb, even though even that much seems huge to me, but memory is like money, seems like ya never have enough. The hard drive upgrade is a tougher call for me. The general rule of thumb for me is to get twice what I think I'll ever need. So if I think I'll only ever put 256 gigs on my laptop, I get 500 gigs. I always seem to need more than I think over time. No one is going to be able to really tell you if you need 768 over 512.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Do you need to buy a stock model or can you order on Apple.com?

If so, I would get 2.6ghz 512gb 16gb

If not, it is hard to tell. 'A lot of final cut pro' is easily done with 8gb of RAM. However, if you want to keep this laptop for over 3 years or so 16gb will probably become necessary. I am not sure how big of a difference a jump from 2.6 to 2.7 ghz is, but I doubt it is noticeable at all.

When in doubt, go big or go home.

Last edited:

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I got my wife a 2.6/16GB/256GB for Christmas. The processor is only $100 more, and the memory is $200. Since neither can be replaced, it's now or never. The SSD CAN be replaced later, and they should get cheaper (and there will be more options).

jcepiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Where would one notice the biggest performance difference between 8gb and 16gb ram on rMBP?

To explain further...on the OS X side I use Final Cut Pro, Photo Shop and InDesign a good amount.

Last edited:

kh3khalid

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
I think you should go with 16GB. Since you are upgrading from a 2008 Macbook, it seems that you want to keep this Macbook that you are buying now for another 3-4 years. And to keep it up and running with a good performance through that period, I think you will need the 16GB. Specially after you mentioned that you use Adobe stuff and Final Cut in a good amount.

I don't think I'll be using Final Cut or similar programs anytime soon, but when I get my Mac it'll have 16GB of RAM because I want to keep it for at least 4 years. (I'll be getting a rMBP when Apple updates the lineup, mostly because I don't want to get the first generation, and because I'm waiting for Haswell).

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Where would one notice the biggest performance difference between 8gb and 16gb ram on rMBP?

To explain further...on the OS X side I use Final Cut Pro, Photo Shop and InDesign a good amount.

Quite possibly there is no place where you'd notice (really notice) the difference today. But when in a few years all your softwares' version numbers will have grown by 1-3, you will be glad you spent the extra for the max ram (and kick yourself if you did not).

RGDS,

bkd0255

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Arizona
You should deffinately go with the 16 gigs of ram. As far as the hard drive the price difference would not be worth it to me. And if in the future you need more storage theirs always cloud storage, external hard drive storage and if you really need to, buy another hard drive. Ive seen them for sale online for cheaper and cheaper although i think it requires more work to replace than a normal hard drive.

jcepiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
After doing some research, I found that the consensus that 8GB is really more than enough for most users. The only exceptions seemed to be if you multi-task like a maniac (if I'm using a program like Final Cut Pro, I'm basically only using that and a web browser or something) or you do crazy rendering of 3d things, which I don't. Would you all agree with that?

Flight Simulator X which I use on the windows side of my computer seems to be unable to use more than 4GB of Ram since it's a 32-bit program.

Also, I read some stuff about the 768gb flash being slower than the 512...is that true?

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
After doing some research, I found that the consensus that 8GB is really more than enough for most users. The only exceptions seemed to be if you multi-task like a maniac (if I'm using a program like Final Cut Pro, I'm basically only using that and a web browser or something) or you do crazy rendering of 3d things, which I don't. Would you all agree with that?

Flight Simulator X which I use on the windows side of my computer seems to be unable to use more than 4GB of Ram since it's a 32-bit program.

Also, I read some stuff about the 768gb flash being slower than the 512...is that true?

I do not think that the flash thing is true, if it is it is such a minimal amount that you will not really notice unless you try to notice.

8gb should be fine, assuming you are not VMing your way into Windows as opposed to boot camp.

jcepiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for all of your help! I chose the 2.6/8gb/512gb model. It's spectacular. Can't wait to use some heavy lifting with this soon. Its weird how quiet it is!

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes

yes, you WOULD notice it probably with these apps, the swap files they like to use can leverage all that ram. Now, to be real, the SSD is so fast that the swap out to storage, from RAM is going to be much faster than a traditional HDD, but regardless, having a LOT of ram for a photoshop to use, or FCP is just that much smoother.

Is it 200$ smoother, only the use can answer that.

I went 2.6/16/256, for many of the reasons above. Might as well go 2.6 for 100$ and having the 16GB locked in, while a HUGE premium for RAM even by APPLE standards, it cannot be changed YET

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
If you won't miss the money, then there's no point in not getting the maxed out model. Else, the other configuration will surely be just as fine ( maxim out the RAM would be the only thing that I'd do since it's relatively cheap and it might come in handy for complex simulations ).

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I went 2.6/16/256, for many of the reasons above. Might as well go 2.6 for 100$ and having the 16GB locked in, while a HUGE premium for RAM even by APPLE standards, it cannot be changed YET

Uh, make that ever.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
If you wait 6-7 months, you will probably get a base rMBP with a 2.7 GHz Haswell processor. I don't see how that could cost much more than the current 2.3 GHz rMBPs.

Source for the specs:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012121601_Specifications_of_mobile_Haswell_CPUs.html

As much as I also like to day dream... most like he won't be getting a 2.7 GHz Haswell for the price of the current 2.3 GHz model. The 6-7 month approximation is just a wild guess... sure, it has some basis, but it might take a tad bit longer ( maybe around next year October ). Either way, on the same idea, why not wait 2-3 more years and get the notebook then because the CPU is likely to be even faster and better? If he'd need the notebook 6-7 months from now, I'm guessing he wouldn't have asked such questions today... Just saying...

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
As much as I also like to day dream... most like he won't be getting a 2.7 GHz Haswell for the price of the current 2.3 GHz model.

It has nothing to do with day dreaming. The 2.7 Ghz Haswell is the new bottom of the line quad core mobile chip in the market segment we're talking about. Just click on the link I provided. I don't see the new base rMBP model being more expensive than the current one. Sure, Apple could put an Ivy Bridge chip in the upcoming rMBP, but that would no doubt yield the same effect as the latest Mac Pro "update".

The 6-7 month approximation is just a wild guess... sure, it has some basis, but it might take a tad bit longer ( maybe around next year October ).

Agreed. But I think I stated that in the edited version of my post.

If he'd need the notebook 6-7 months from now, I'm guessing he wouldn't have asked such questions today...

You never know... I wanted to buy an MBP in December 2011, but put off the purchase until June 2012. I then put it off another 2 months. Finally, I bought an rMBP in October 2012. In the interim I used a 3 year old netbook as my primary portable. It was tough, but when I finally got my rMBP I enjoyed it all the more. Sometimes it's worth waiting, even if that goes against your nature. If you would have asked me when I needed a new computer in December 2011, I would have answered "immediately". But it turns out that wasn't true.

Last edited:

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Ehh, I have faith in Apple's ability to find a deeper bottom than that :D It wouldn't be surprising... As for the estimate: as you can tell from my post, I have quoted your's before the edit, so sorry for missing it later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.