Deciding of MacbookPro 13" or 15" ????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by natlovesmac, Apr 30, 2011.

1. natlovesmac macrumors newbie

Im planning to buy a Macbook Pro, for school but can't really decide yet which one to buy. I'm afraid 15" is going to be heavy because I have to carry it to school everyday and im only 5"00 and 80 pounds for eight grade. Help me decide? I don't mind prices, able to afford but only about the weight and the everyday carrying thats all. Or the 15" inches' great functions is worth carrying everyday??? Thanks !!!!

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Get the 13" as it offers great portability. You can always get an external screen for that extra screen real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jennyp macrumors 6502

I find the 13 inch *much* better for portability than the 15 inch. Only thing you'll miss out on is being able to have an antiglare screen.

4. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Yes, but you can also bathe in the extra $600-1200 that you have left over...:D

5. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

If you are carrying back and forth to school, go with the 13"

6. anonymous12 macrumors member

Why do you need to take a laptop to school since you're only in grade eight? Just being curious.

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

This:
    http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC505LL/A?mco=MTk0MjI1MTk
    with 4GB RAM. You DO NOT need a MBP in 8th grade, and you certainly do not need to carry it to school daily. If you DO have to carry it, get the lightest laptop available.
    And no, I'm not a hypocrite. I do heavy Photoshop, movie edit, music edit/production, and the occasional games, all in 9th grade. For all of these things to run smoothly, I need the 15".

8. dn00 macrumors newbie

9. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Go to the apple store and see if you really need the larger screen size of the 15". If you can deal with the 13", get that since you're going to be carrying it with you every day.
    If you need more power (which is sounds like you don't) get the 15" for the quad-core processor and better graphics.

I plan on buying my first mac around Christmas, when the next refresh of MBPs come out (hopefully a redesign), and as it will be my only computer, I plan on getting the 15", since I probably won't carry it to school that much and I will need it to be somewhat future-proof until I go to college in 3 years.

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

1. The OP CERTAINLY does not need to even consider a 15". It's reserved for people who either like a big laptop or need its horsepower, and it's too heavy for a daily route to middle school...............................
    2. The OP sounds like he doesn't even NEED a MBP. All he needs is a base 4GB RAM 11" MBA, or if he REALLY REALLY wants one, the base 13" MBP. If you argue value, then yes a 13" MBP is technically cheaper for the power, but the OP won't even use a quarter of its potential, if word processing, YouTube videos, and iPod Touch syncing, etc. is all he does.
    3. You can't predict a MBP refresh. Everyone predicted the 2011 model would be released in late April but they were off by 2 months. With a new design refresh, expect 4-5 months added to he regular 10 months and you would get the estimate of April-May 2011, give or take 2 months.
    4. BTW, the 15" is future-proof for around 6 years. :)

@OP, either get the MBA or a cheap Dell. Hackintosh a Dell if you want a cheap Mac.

11. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you should get the 17". This way you can understand what us old timers considered light weight when going to school! :)

12. SilverOnemi macrumors member

i've had the 13 inch , it was the first 2008 aluminium mbp, with the use of spaces you can really maximize your efficiency to the point where the less 2 inches won't make too much difference, if you are wondering what that is it's basicly having separate screens in your computer, each one containing the windows you wish, for example, firefox on space 1, and word on space 2. switching between them is has fast has hitting the binded key for it, in my case it's cmd 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 or the arrow keys.

but now that i've got the 15" 2011 i'd never go back, the screen is bigger and yes it's heavier and more bunky to carry it arround but the extra space is really worth it.

i think it's more of a personal decision you must make, i'd sit down with the 13 and play with it for afew mins, browse the web, then switch for the 15 and do the same.

if you are wondering if the 13 inch will get the job done, it will thrust me, and with time you'll get used to the smaller screen and not even notice it. when i had it i'd use to look at other people's 15" and not see much difference.

don't forget that the 15" comes with quad cores instead of core duos, but if you're using it for school i doubt you'll need the extra firepower it brings.

hope i helped and didn't confuse your further, keep in mind that having the "higher res" screen, like i do, makes everything smaller giving you the impression that you've got more screen so my opinion might be tainted a bit.

13. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

15" is a real laptop, 13" is small...my new AIR is 13" and its hard to get used to.

14. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Please keep in mind that the OP is an 8th grader and probably won't even use Spaces.

15. SilverOnemi macrumors member

go with the 13.

@prodo123 i didn't read that part.