Deciding on a 15" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by five40kix, Mar 31, 2010.

1. five40kix macrumors newbie

I'm looking to purchase a the 15" MBP. Besides the typical surfing and emailing, the most intensive application that will be run is WoW (World of Warcraft). Other than that...no other gaming will be done.

The main debate due to the last requirement is:
    1) Do I go for the version w/ just the GeForce 9400?
    2) or the 9400 + GeForce 9600M GT?

The main arguments are:
    1) MBP's with the 9600's have Overheating issues during intensive apps.
    2) Will just the 9400 suffice for WoW? (The family is currently playing WoW on a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 9200...I'm pretty positive anything newer than that will play smoother)

Any opinions/suggestions?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want to play WoW, go for the dedicated graphics. The 9400M is okay for most tasks, but not GPU intensive ones.

3. marksandvig macrumors regular

my room mate runs wow on his integrated 9400m pretty well. I think itll suit your needs.

4. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

WoW runs awesome on my 13.3" MBP with just the integrated graphics. No need to waste the extra money if WoW is the only gaming you'll be doing.

5. five40kix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone

I know it's probably not a good time to buy, but it's my wife's instant gratification I'm trying to appease.

I'd go for a 13", but the transition from a 17" screensize to 13" is too much for her. If it were me...I'd wait as well.

Any thoughts on the overheating issues as the MBP unibody is aluminum?

6. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Or if you don't mind refurbished (I've bought from them before and its as-new with same warrantry). You can get a refurb 2.66GHz with the 9600GT graphics for the same price as a new 2.53GHz with the 9400m:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB985LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQ4MzU

Same can be said for a refurb 2.53GHz ($1449) but just a though.

7. five40kix thread starter macrumors newbie

I was planning on a refurb period. If I don't need the 9600GT...I won't get it.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Aluminum dissipates heat, not stores it.

AFAIK there are no overheating issues with the unibody MBPs

9. Coldmode macrumors regular

I played Warcraft perfectly fine on a 2.33 GHz Dell with 2GB of RAM and a graphics card made for CAD, not 3D game rendering. Any 15" MBP will do just fine. I would say go for the cheap one and get a big external monitor to go with it. When you're at a desk (where gaming is most likely to take place) you have the extra screen real estate, and when you want to browse the internet on the couch or go to a cafe you can unplug and go.
    I think a decent external monitor with a good laptop is really the best way to compute.

10. jaforres macrumors member

I have also played WoW on my MBP 13 2.53 with zero problems.

11. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Dissipates heat alright. All out the bottom. Insanely hot after a couple hours but nothing to worry about internally.

12. bluskale macrumors regular

let me add in my WoW experience... you can play it just fine on a current 13 in MBP, with approximately medium settings. However... you'll get a longer life out of the laptop (at least on the gaming side) with a dedicated graphics card.