Deciding on a Domain Name

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iMasterWeb, Dec 10, 2009.

1. iMasterWeb macrumors regular

Hi! So I'm trying to decide on a domain name. I just have some basic questions:
    • Is it ok to have high-level words that some people may not understand right away in a domain name?
    • Even though this domain is available, how can I be sure that there isn't already someone using a similar name? Google?
    • How descriptive should a domian name be?
    • What is the suggested length of a domain name?

Thanks for the help guys!

2. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

reasonable questions... but i'm not so sure that I can still call you a 'master[ofthe]web'...

- high-level words = sure why not.. but easier to pronounce + phonetically spell is best

- yup, google research is good, or just try typing in some variations of the domain and see what comes up

- descriptiveness depends on what it's for.. if its a blog, personal site, etc- obscure maybe best.. if its a business, then descriptive is useful..?

- sugg. length = as sort as possible! the fewer characters required, the easier it is for sharing, typing, etc. But don't let short takeover the need for a real word.. since something like f58s.com is probably available, but what does that even mean??

bonus advice, best to avoid any special characters, like hy-phens... they look rather funny and can be really tricky to describe vocally.

enjoy what I am guessing is your first domain! and soon enough you won't put much thought into snagging one for a latest project idea when it's only $8/year.

3. iMasterWeb thread starter macrumors regular

Hehe, I realize that my username is deceiving, iMaster is actually my YouTube name (iMaster33) and iMasterWeb.net was the name of my first site (which makes this my second) I'm not purposefully calling myself the "master" of the web :D.

Anyways, thanks for the reply! From your response, it seems like my assumptions were on target. Thanks again!

-iMaster

4. elitesouth macrumors member

elitesouth

Taking these one at a time:

It is okay. However, Google really pays attention to the terms you use in your domain name, so try to include one or two keywords directly related to your website in the domain if you can. If you can't, that's okay. I own elitesouth.com, and you can't really tell anything about my site or services by the name alone... other than where we're located perhaps.

Dont' worry about it. Even if they are using a similar name, they don't have your name, and that's all that matters. Buy a domain with which you can identify most that contains a keyword or two related to your product or service.

It's just a domain name. Try to keep it under 18 characters, and you'll be just fine. Read more below.

In my domain-buying experience, I've learned that readability (and the visitor's ability to remember your domain name) is more important the length of your domain name. Meaning, "tonysnewyorkpizza.com" is more favorable (to me) than "nypizzatony.com."

What really matters most is the content you create, the products you sell, and the services you offer. Perfect your content, products, and services, and it'll be much easier for you to market the website.

For anyone reading this post that can't quite think of a domain name (the exact opposite situation of the original poster), poke around on www.bustaname.com - it's pretty handy and fun.