Deciding on budget 20-22" LCD for MBP - NEC or Dell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by humanbeatbox, May 31, 2009.

1. humanbeatbox macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting an external monitor to hook up to my early 2008 Macbook Pro. I'm on a budget but I'd like to use something suitable for doing graphics and video at home. Really would like an Eizo or something but I have to be realistic, IPS displays under 24inches appear to be in my price range.

I've done a bit of online research - wondered if anyone could help me out with their user experiences of any of these models, and if you use them for doing a bit of graphics work?

A new Dell 2209wa - looks like it fits the bill, but is the larger size for same resolution as 20inch but bigger pixel pitch worth it?

A used Dell 2007wfp or 2005fpw - any issues with banding / backlighting?

A used NEC 20WGX2 (not the 'pro' version) - has a glossy screen, which I'm not too fussed about, no pivot etc but seems like a nice display?

I've had a look at 2nd hand Apple 20inch displays, but they're still selling for above my budget. Looking to spend around £200.

Any thoughts? Help or advice would be appreciated!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have used both a Dell 2005WFP and a 2007WFP; both excellent monitors with quality images. 2005WFP is 100% S-IPS; 2007WFP, I had the S-IPS version, but they have a PVA version has well; the key is just ask whoever is selling the monitor to tell you what the last letter in the S/N is: L=LG Philips (AKA S-IPS), S=Samsung (AKA PVA).

And make sure to get a hardware color calibrator if you want accurate color; I'd recommend the Pantone Huey Pro.

3. humanbeatbox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info. I've read about problems with the backlight bleeding on the 2005fpw and banding on colour gradients with the 2007wfp, have you noticed anything like that on your displays? If you were to pick one over the other, which would you choose?

Think the US model number for the NEC I mentioned is the 20WMGX2 - think this is the same model as the UK version which just drops the 'M'.

The Dell 2209wa doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping - not sure how much of an issue that is if anyone can help me out with that one?