Deciding on buying a MBP or iMAC or maybe a MP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by exiag335, Dec 25, 2009.

1. exiag335 macrumors member

Hello

I am going to buy a computer. I do not know which one to get.

It will be used for music production, graphics, animation, and video editing and video games such as WOW and RTS games.
    My wife will use it for regular stuff.
    We are thinking of buying 2 computers but can only buy one right now.

I am looking at the hi end iMacs, or the hi end MBP. I want a MP but could only afford the low end one.

Which MBP models and iMac models would be good to have? Will having a 256 dedicated video card found in the MBP be just as good as the 512 video card found in the hi end MBPs?

How about the iMacs? How good are the ATi GPUs?

Help please

2. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

3. njean777 macrumors 6502

The i7 imac should do just fine for you, but wait until they fix the screen problems. If you want to be able to upgrade and customize even more, then go with the mac pro with the 4870 in it.

4. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

So the MBP is not a good buy?

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

The i7 is more powerful than any MBP but these laptops are due to be updated very soon. January I'd wager. If you prefer a laptop and can wait a few weeks I'd wait till the new ones emerge. But if your buying today then I'd say A i7 iMac. And the ati CPU in it is far superior to the 9600 in the MacBook pros

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I'd hold out and save up an extra couple hundred and pick up a 17" MBP. Wow I miss the screen on my 17" PowerBook, but not the G4 processor.

I'd wager that new MBPs will be released in January. So, if you can wait and save a bit more, you could have basically a portable desktop machine with you. Wow I really miss my PB now.

7. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

i'd get a 27 or even just a 21.5 iMac really, sounds like you might need a bit of power for those edits, however your wife might like the portability of a mbp, either way don't get the lowend mac pro, the imac is just as good really and you dont have any peripherals to buy [​IMG]

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does that budget include software? Because if you have to buy things like FCP as well you're either going to need more money or a cheaper machine.

9. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

No it doesn't include software, only for the computer. I really want a MBP but everyone keeps talking about new ones coming out next month.