Deciding on MBA 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cpm619, Jun 15, 2012.

1. cpm619 macrumors newbie

Right now I am in a tough spot when it comes to what new macbook to get. I am a rising college sophomore (going into my second year of college in the fall) IT/TRF (Television Radio and Film) major trying to decipher between the 15 inch Retina MBP and a 13 inch MBA.
    What I feel I need in a laptop. Something that can run video editing software pretty well (FCP/ iMovie), something that can do handle some programming / IT software, run Windows 7 in bootcamp

I would also love to be able to do some gaming such as Diablo 3, and maybe GW2 when it comes out at a playable fps. Nothing too crazy.

Let me know what you all think. For a college student the Air would help out a lot with travel/portability. I think it is kinda crazy to spend 2k on a laptop when I am not quite a PROfessional yet :)

Thanks!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

For what you are saying you want to do, performance wise you will be happier with the Pro. The 2012 MBA is as fast as last year's Pros, so it will do those things, only a bit slower. Portability wise its a no brainer. The Air is just a joy to carry around.

Both computers will do what you need, one a bit faster than the other, but it will be larger/heavier. Pick your poison. :D

3. jamesj113037 macrumors newbie

Just got a 2012 MBA here, been very surprised at the power it has for the price. That being said, if I had to do heavy video editing, I would've purchased the Pro instead. That's the type of work the Pro was made for. Best to get the right tool for the right job.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

I'd get neither. I'd go for the 2011 MBP 15" to take advantage of no tax / price drop, or the 2012 15" regular MBP. The retina display is nice, but in a market without competitors, Apple is charging a premium price. Students usually are not in a great position to pay.

An alternative might be the 13" with an external display. It would probably be pushed a little hard at times, but you'd get the portability and display. Maybe it would even end up costing you less than the retina MBP :)