Deciding on what Mac to purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nickbnsf, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Nickbnsf macrumors newbie

Next year I am taking a high school class which teaches the basics of computer graphics. It will also teach me the tricks of Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and other programs. I also would like to create my own iOS applications. That is only possible with the certain type of processor and operating system. I am trying to purchase the cheapest computer possible. Since I am a student I get a $100 off Macbooks and Macbook Pros. At the moment I own a HP Laptop- Windows Vista 64-bit. I would also like to install Adobe Photoshop on this new laptop, so I need a laptop that can handle all this. Could I get away with the white Macbook or would I need the Macbook Pro 13"?

Thank you

Nickbnsf- Student :apple:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can make the white MacBook work for your needs. It'll be a tad slower than the MacBook Pro in heavy tasks, but it will work.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I say the MBP for sure. Again, the MB would work, but you will be watching the spinning ball often I think using those programs.

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

You could get away with the Macbook. It will run what you throw at it. The new MBP is much faster though so if you can afford it go for that.

5. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Unless something has changed recently, High School students do not receive an education discount.

But to answer your question, a macbook will be fine. You may want to invest in an external monitor though.

6. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The white Macbook would work, but Adobe apps and Xcode like lots of screen space. A Mac mini + low cost monitor, keyboard and mouse would cost even less and have the benefit of a larger display.

8. Drew n macs macrumors member

Actually I think you only get $50 dollars of a 13 white macbook and you will get $100 of 13 macbook pro. Which may push you more towards MBP.