Deciding on which 15'' model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AGuyInATown, Oct 23, 2013.

1. AGuyInATown macrumors newbie

I've been racking my brain about which model to get, and I've been waiting for these updates for some time. I'm currently using an old 2007 white Macbook and desperately need to upgrade. However, I'm not entirely sure which route to go since Apple sort of went a different route with the base 15" this year.

I'm essentially debating on the previous gen 15" Macbook Pro, or either of the 2 15" models from this year. Obviously, price makes me think twice about springing for this newest high end model. However, if a previous model with dGPU can be had for roughly the same price as the current base (albeit, it would be used), would it be smarter to get that model? As of right now, I don't do graphics-heavy processes on my computer, but mainly because my computer has difficulty doing things that are not considered to be graphics-heavy as is.

I plan to have this computer for 5+ years (assuming the parts hold up).

Suggestions?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

In my opinion $2600 is just too much for a laptop. I just can't see and you can get a pretty powerful 2012 model with dedicated nvidia GPU for a lot, lot less.

Cheers,

3. AGuyInATown thread starter macrumors newbie

At the moment, I'm sort of leaning toward the new base and tacking on the 16gb or RAM

4. koppie644 macrumors regular

I am also considering which one to pick, the new base and the old base, almost the same performance, longer battery life (cooler) vs. slightly better discrete graphics

Another option is the $1700 refurbished old base model

16GB of memory would not be that useful

5. AGuyInATown thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would 16gb RAM not be very useful? I only worry about what programs may typically require in several years.

6. AGuyInATown thread starter macrumors newbie

Opinions on not going with 16gb of RAM for the next 5 or so years?

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

While I do think there's a lot of memory "fear-mongering" at play, nobody really know what you'll be able to do with that memory 4-5 years from now.

I'd certainly hate to be without it especially if there's now way to add it later on.

8. AGuyInATown thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my real worry. If I were only going to have this computer for, say, 2 years, I would definitely go with 8 gb.

9. AGuyInATown thread starter macrumors newbie

Went with the base 15" model. Figured I didn't need either 16GB of RAM or dGPU. Nice thing is that in a few years, if I do need more, I can give this to my wife, she surely doesn't do any intensive computing.