Deciding on which 'book to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GrimmPenguin, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

I can't decide between these models on which to buy. I have listed the following items in priority of what I want. I'm more worried about portability and aesthetics than power. Intel seems top-notch, and with my most powerful computer running at 1GHz with 512MB RAM, I'll notice a difference no matter what I get.

-PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz w/ specs maxed out
    -MacBook 13.3" 2.0GHz CoreDuo w/superdrive (C2D is too newer for me)
    -PowerBook 15" 1.67GHz w/ specs maxed out (worried about size however)

EDIT: I removed the 15" PowerBook. After looking at the size, it's too big for what I want.

I really don't want to just go out and get a new Mac just yet for these reasons:
    -This will be my first Mac
    -I do not have the money to get a new one
    -I'm kind of waiting to see if a 13.3" MBP comes out. My plan is to get a used/refurbished of the models I've listed now, and buy a MBP 13.3" IF/WHEN they come out. I'd rather not blow money on a new laptop and then turn around and have to buy the MBP 13.3". Also, I'd rather not waste time and money trying to sell the latter new one in this situation on eBay or whatnot.

This probably seems rambled. Sorry, I'm tired. Out of my three options that I've listed what would be the best to go with? I'm really wanting a PB 12". I've wanted once ever since Apple was selling them.

Thanks

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i honestly wouldn't buy anything but what is current. i think that intel is the way to go for a notebook purchase. you will be much happier with the newest technology out, and that you will have little problems doing things you want or need to do

3. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

I will mainly just be doing basic things. The only thing intensive would be multi-track recording via Firewire recording interface with GarageBand, which all three of these models can handle well.

4. martychang macrumors regular

The idea isn't just that PowerPC is slower, it's a different, now unsupported architecture. You won't be able to use the latest neat little apps for the Mac, not because they're system demanding, but because they're only designed for Intel.

With no major computer makers supporting with PowerPC support on their roadmap, even support from Linux/Open Source is tapering off.

Fast enough for you, yes, but it's a dead end purchase. Try to find a nice used/refurbished Core Duo Macbook perhaps?

5. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

martychang I right.

Get any mac that has an intel processor. If you dont, you will find less and less programs available for your mac and might have to invest on a newer mac in less than you may think.

6. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

Leopard still supports G4 and G5 series Macs. It won't be completely dwindled out for at least another year or two... which is hopefully as long as I hope to keep the laptop. And what do you mean by neat little apps that are system demanding? All the flashy new stuff in Leopard? Honestly, I plan to stay on Tiger on the reburb/used laptop that I get unless I see it absolutely necessary to upgrade. Trust me, I'll be just as happy using Tiger as I would be using some flash 3D dock and plastic-like aesthetics on a new OS.

My original post may have been misleading though. I am interested in portability and aesthetics of the laptop.

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Get a refurb C2D MB. The price difference between CD and C2D is negligible, but the C2D can address more RAM, and if you max out the RAM at some time in the future, you will get a nice performance boost.

C2Ds also have the wireless N technology, as opposed to wireless G in the CDs.

Don't get a G4-based notebook, because it will be very hard to get a good price for it 2 years from now, since most new software coming out in 2 years will likely require Intel-based Macs.

8. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

Well, I can understand portability, but why worry about aesthetics? If it works, it doesn't need to look good. You might as well get a MacBook Pro. That would be your best bet as far as performance. If that's too big for you, the 13.3 inch MB should work out for you.