Deciding should i wait or go for it :P = Macbook

k20-pwr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
1
0
Ive been a PC user all my life and i really like the GUI for MACs...

im not sure if i should get the latest macbook 2.16ghz yet or wait a few months...

i will only be using the macbook for web browsing, msn, music, and a little photoshop.

my main concern is will the Intel GMA gpu be able to run SC2 when it comes out,
because i know the macbook can run Wc3 perfectly fine, just not quite sure
about SC2. and no i do not want a MACBOOK PRO :p

any opinions/advice is welcomed thanks
 

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
2,182
0
Oregon
My guy feeling tells me the 950 maxed out with ram MAY be able to run SC2. But again, not well at all.

Get a Mac Pro if you're worried. If you don't need a laptop, get an iMac when the new revision comes out soon. :D
 

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
739
0
I guess wait until October (or whenever) when the new macbooks come out. They're really slim and probably a new design (who knows?).

Or you can wait for a better suggestion from one of the mac geeks ;)
 

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
1,848
3
Well Starcraft 2 has been in development for what, about three years? I would like to think that machines three to four years in age would be able to run it but I get the feeling that it'll stutter on a current Macbook. Yes, the Macbook can play WC3 fine, but look at the minimum system requirements.

http://www.freakygaming.com/pc/strategy/warcraft_3:_the_frozen_throne/system_requirements

No one knows for sure what the minimum system requirements will be for SC2, but by all estimates, it looks like a dedicated graphics card with 128MB of VRAM will be necessary.

http://www.freakygaming.com/pc/strategy/starcraft_2/system_requirements

I'm sure you'll be able to play the game by lowering video settings but as to how playable it will be is anyone's guess at the moment. I have a current MBP, but here's to hoping that Macbook owners won't be left on the outside looking in.
 

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
6,311
18
the OC
if you're looking to play starcraft 2, i'd say wait for the macbook to get better graphics, whether it come from a dedicated chip or improved integrated graphics. your other option is to shell out more for a macbook pro. but as it stands now, i don't think the macbook would be enough to play sc2 satisfactorily.
 

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
258
0
and dont forget mac os x 10.5 is coming out in oct, so i would suggest to wait until then.
 

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
1,212
2
Austin, Tx
October is close enough that anyone who has a working computer should
wait imo. Leopard, new iLife, processor/gpu upgrades???
 

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
1,223
0
I wouldn't switch just for the GUI unless I absolutely needed a new comp anyways :rolleyes:

I say wait, I'll be surprised if the GMA 950 in the MacBooks even lets you open the Starcraft 2 application...

Definitely wait until the MacBook gets a dedicated graphics solution (hell even something like a 7300 go would be enough to at least play Starcraft 2) or be prepared to pony up for a MacBook Pro.

Apple messed up with the MacBook's graphic solution, I know the kind of people who buys macbooks don't play tons of games or at least don't buy their MacBooks for gaming but you never know when you might want to play a game or two (even mainstream stuff like The Sims 2 and such) and then you'll just get dissapointed because the GMA 950 is not only slow but its not even complete feature-wise and just doesn't support many games.
 

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
6,311
18
the OC
October is close enough that anyone who has a working computer should
wait imo. Leopard, new iLife, processor/gpu upgrades???
if you're waiting for october to buy a new mac, you might as well wait for new updates, which could be october, november or even later. if a person wants or needs a laptop now, i see no reason to wait. macbooks were updated only two months ago. the way people talk around here, it's like if you don't buy the day they're updated, then they're already outdated.
 

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
1,462
1
if you're waiting for october to buy a new mac, you might as well wait for new updates, which could be october, november or even later. if a person wants or needs a laptop now, i see no reason to wait. macbooks were updated only two months ago. the way people talk around here, it's like if you don't buy the day they're updated, then they're already outdated.
Nonsense! they have at least 7 days in them before they can be considered obsolete :rolleyes: