Deciding To Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ecalw001, Apr 15, 2014.

  1. Ecalw001 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    #1
    So I am deciding if I should get my new laptop now or wait. Overall it comes down to just a few things and I think I can get an accurate answer here.

    My laptop usage will consist of the following:
    • Checking E-mail
    • Using Microsoft Office
    • Playing Wolfenstein ET (Came out in 1998)
    • Playing World Of Warcraft
    • Playing Starcraft 2
    • Browing the Web
    • Remote Desktoping/VPN'ing into a server/network respectively
    • Reporting
    • Possible presentations
    • Possible minor video editing with FCE
    Based on my usage I believe the current line-up is sufficient, purely from the standpoint that I did all of this on my Fall 2007 MBP without any problems.

    So my question is this, because apple generally sticks with a standard pricing structure, are there any updates/upgrades coming up that add a higher value per dollar than I would get if I purchased today? Or in other words, would it just plain be smarter to wait based on all the information provided?

    Will there be a price decrease?

    As a student, would I benefit from waiting until September , as opposed to today, to get the $100 ITunes giftcard? (Which comes to a PV of $81.90 using a 4% rate)

    Additional Notes:
    • I will be purchasing a fully loaded 15" rMBP
    • I will not be purchasing any additional upgrades (Ram/SSD/CPU)
    • I would plan the computer to last me 5 years, with the purpose not exceeding what I have listed above.

    Lastly, I understand that most of the updates are speculative, but I believe many people here have enough experience and have been following apple enough to get a general idea of how their product line-up evolves.


    I appreciate any assistance that is provided, I have read through the 9 page thread also listed on the first page (at time of this post). The thread focuses on the entire line-up whereas I will be purchasing only the high end rMBP 15" model for the discrete GPU. That said, all analysis should focus around that model.

    Thanks,
    E
     
  2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    #2
    Any major updates to the MacBook Pro line likely will not happen until at least Q1 2015 because Intel's new line of processors has been delayed. Apple might bump the CPU clock speeds of the current models slightly, but that would be about it.

    If you need the notebook now, buy it now. If you can wait and would rather take advantage of the back-to-school price, do that. There will not be any price cuts, except possibly for refurbished models should Apple release systems with upgraded CPUs.
     
  3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #3
    First, very nice post with all necessary information.

    By fully loaded 15'' you mean the 2.3 GHz, 16/512 GB model? I will assume this in the following.

    I don't expect any price drops or updates that would increase the value for money significantly. Concerning the gift card, you have to decide yourself whether not having the laptop for another 5 months is worth it. I think no.

    Now what you didn't say is if there is a latest point at which you would like to upgrade. It might be interesting to wait for a possible Broadwell + Maxwell update. While we don't know the exact time scale, it could mean waiting until Q1 2015. It is also not guaranteed that Apple will continue to offer a discrete GPU in the MBPs at all. If waiting that long is not an option then I would buy right now!
     
  4. Ecalw001 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    #4
    Based on the information you two provided, I will purchase now and still utilize my student discount.

    I could wait until next year, but even at that rate there is no tangible benefit. I feel a lot of people wait for the upgrade only to never use it, and would not like to be a part of that group.

    These are very powerful laptops in their current form. 16 GB gig, 256 SSD ETC
     
  5. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #5
    First as a student make sure you get your Ed discount...usually $200 on a Macbook.

    Second, if your state has a tax free holiday in the fall, purchase then and save even more. For example in South Carolina the tax free weekend is the first Friday in August. No tax on computers, printers..etc. Some states may limit the amount spent on a computer before tax does start.

    Third, consider a refurbed unit. They can be cheaper than a new one with Ed discount. They come with standard warranty and are eligible for Apple Care. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
     
  6. ano0oj macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    #6
    looks like you need a gaming laptop instead of a MBP
     
  7. kristenp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    #7
    Those games aren't super demanding and they're old-ish though.
     
  8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    #8
    Those games are old and will run just fine on an Iris Pro GPU, not at 2880x1800, but at the scaled resolution of 1440x900.
     
  9. nickdylan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2012
    #9
    I would say wait, and here's why: you've already got a laptop that can do everything you need, and the rMBP line is due for an update very soon. They've released in June 2012, October 2012, February 2013, October 2013, so I bet there's going to be a release announced at WWDC in the first week of June. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you can wait 2 more months you'll be able to pick up a faster and newer machine for the same price.
     

Share This Page