deciding whether to buy the new MBP 13" or 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RustBuckle, Jun 13, 2009.

1. RustBuckle macrumors newbie

Just looking for some opinions from everyone.

Currently have an oldish white macbook with a 2 GHz processor, 1 GB of ram, and the Intel GMA950 graphic chipset. With the new MBP release I'm ready to upgrade but I can't decide whether the Nvidia 9400m in the top end 13" is sufficient or if I should go with the mid range 15" with the dedicated 9600M GT option. I'm a casual gamer who plays WoW, age of empires, the sims and does some casual website design (nothing overly gpu draining). In your opinions will the 9400m be sufficient for this?

Also, if I went the 15" MBP route is there a noticable difference between a 5400rpm serial ata hdd and a 7200rpm? I noticed the 13" doesn't offer an upgrade option to a 7200rpm hdd, if I bought one to install myself would the 13" support a 7200rpm without overheating/battery draining?

Cheers!!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're serious about gaming, go for 9600GT and upgrade to 7200rpm HD later on and do it yourself

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I've been researching the 5400 vs 7200 RPM issue also, there are many drives out there that are very close in speed vs spec green, blue, black drives... and I want the longest battery life as well.

That's part of the reason I got an iMac and a netbook so I can wait for battery and processor tech to advance further...

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you are comfortable with 13" form factor, get the 13. If you want something bigger, get 15.

That said, 9400 is quite a bit faster than GMA950, you'll be fine