Deciding which iPad to buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I am having a hard time deciding which iPad to buy. First issue is Wi-Fi or 3G. I don't really want to buy the 3G version again b/c that function will be out of date when 4G is available. I really would like to tether using my iPhone b/c I will continue to upgrade that... and I have unlimited data on my iPhone but if I tether I lose my unlimited data:(. If I buy a 3G version I can't decide btwn AT&T and Verizon. I hear that Verizon is slower... is this true? I just don't like AT&T's coverage.

Has anyone found a legit workaround to losing the unlimited data while tethering...?

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

personally i'm going with 3g because tethering will kill your iPhones battery and afaik no workaround for unlimited + tether/hotspot so ur going to have to go down to 2gb/month which I wouldn't do

att vs verizon is a personal decision, ATT has faster data speeds, but the coverage is spotty. ATT is good where I'm at so thats my choice, others will say verizon

good luck :)

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Here is the deal... 4G (LTE) isn't going to be that built out anytime soon. 3G is going to be the mainstay for at least two more years. The iPad 2 will be pretty much obsolete by then, with or without 3G capability. So don't let 3G's lifespan guide your decision.

4. sap12690 macrumors 6502

Hmmm... i was debating this too several hours ago lol, this is what im doing:
    Im buying the Wifi model, white, either 32 or 64 GB. I also have the unlimited data plan on my iphone 4, which i dont wanna loose. Im gonna have to jailbreak my phone and use it to use hotspot through my phone and get wifi where i dont get it. Thats the plan for right now

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have squaretrade insurance on my phone. I wonder what happens if I brick it while jailbreaking it.

6. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I also have a gen 1 iPad. It has 3G but I don't pay monthly for it. I only pay when I travel. If I bought a mifi, I could power both of them.

Anyone know if a used mifi for att or verizon still needs a contract or could I feasibly pay month to month.

7. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

16GB: Those who want to try the iPad, who dont need the extra space, or who cant afford a higher capacity.

32GB: Those who want more capacity, who can afford it, or who want to be future-proof.

64GB: Those who absolutely need the space, and have that extra money to afford it.

WiFi: Those who want to try the iPad, who dont need 3G, who own an cellphone and can tether, those who cant afford or cant sign a contract.

3G: Those who can afford it, who need or prefer to have 3G on their iPad for convenience.

I myself: 32GB WiFi.

Its down to personal preference, so read the above again and buy whichever sounds like you.

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

There are so many who are quick to quote that jailbreaking and MyWi "kills your battery". Sure, it consumes battery at a faster rate than being idle but it's not like you fire up the app and watch the meter drop to 0% in half an hour or anything. I've been using it for a year and have never had battery drain become an issue.

I'm going to go the WiFi only route. Why? The majority of my usage will be in WiFi covered areas. When I need connectivity AND I'm away from WiFi, then MyWi will fit the bill just perfectly. I can definitely afford the cost of a data plan for a 3G model but it's just not worth it for my situation. Jailbreaking takes about 5-10 minutes to figure out and it's smooth sailing from there.

Of course, your usage needs may be different. If 80% of my usage were going to be in "non-WiFi" covered areas, I might reconsider. The GPS chip is the other point of contention and I simply don't need it on an iPad. My iPhone is more convenient and portable for those needs.