Decipher these RAM specs, plz?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MrCheeto, May 10, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I pulled apart a plasma TV. Firstly, I want to ask if anybody has any ideas for the components inside. CPU's, a GPU and an RF tuner are what I had my eye on at first, but they all date to 2001. What could I do with them anyway? I've already listed the most valuable part, the power supply, on eBay.

Anyway, what caught my eye were eight pretty little IC's that looked oh so familiar. Yes sir, SDRAM!

I have a feeling that, as per the clock specs, they are PC-2700. 166mhz is what they are rated at.

Can somebody check out this spec sheet and tell me if I'm looking at something that would be appropriate to solder onto a board and make some use of them as PC SDRAM? It looks like they're only 32bit wide, while PC-2700 is 64-bits wide. I don't know if they double that measure because it's double data rate or what, so that's mostly where I need help.

2M x 32 SDRAM 512K x 32bit x 4 Banks Synchronous DRAM LVTTL
    Click the PDF file.

Thanks! Don't forget that I want to use the RF modulator and processors also!

2. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

I'm not a hardware engineer, but I looked at the data sheet and I also looked at some Wikipedia articles.

According to the data sheet, the voltage the chip uses is 3.3 V. Wikipedia's artiicle on SDRAM says that DDR was originally 3.3 V but was then changed to 2.5 V. In addition, wikipedia says that DDR reads data on the rising and trailing edges of the clock. Nothing in the data sheet seems to indicate that is possible. A memory controller that runs at twice the system clock speed with flip-flops to hold a previous read cycle output could be designed to emulate this behavior.

Anyway, the data sheet says that the IC is in a TSOP form. I don't know how you plan to solder something like that without specialized equipment. If the chips aren't already in a DIMM form factor, I don't think you can use it in anything else (that is more modern) unless you have a way around the soldering issue.