Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Alright, well I didn't know where to post this, but here is my question.

Well I'm tore between what MP3 player to get. I know I want to get a 30GB model. I don't need anything higher.

My use would really to be used when I'm taking photographs, walking, and occasionally watching a movie or TV show while I'm waiting somewhere. That's why I want the 30GB.

So I'm tore between the 30Gb Video iPod, Microsoft Zune, and Creative Vision:M.

If anyone has any opinions or advice. It would be muchly appreciated.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
On a Mac forum, your going to get iPod as an answer, but there is a reason.

Creative-Crap Controls, I was playing with one, and it was very hard to learn how to use it

Zune-Its HUGE! I mean the thing is bigger then a 80Gb iPod...and the controls are slow(no touch for scrolling) and even still the controls aren't well plan. The back button isn't in a good spot.

iPod- Slim, best controls, better battery life then Zune(not sure on Creative's), iTunes Sync , iTunes music store, 3rd party add on like crazy, heck you can use it as a memory card when your taking pictures(and view them on your iPod, if you buy the adaptor)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
If you have a Mac the full experience. iTunes and iPod. Same is true on a PC with iTunes as well.

I don't know if the Zune will work on a Mac. If it did, you drag files onto it. You might miss out on things like album art. If it doesn't there is parallels or boot camp.

Same with creative. Although I think they will mount as a drive. There again you could drag files, maybe missing album art. And of course parallels.

It really comes down to which one you like better. Have you used all the candidates?

Personally I like iPods. The Zune doesn't appeal to me nor do the offerings from creative. People whine about having to use iTunes, but I personally love it. Why not have great file management and searching? I don't want to organize my folders and name songs. No thanks.

Use all of them. Make sure they are compatible with your computer and if not what they require to make them.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Alright, thanks. I was thinking of getting the iPod, but I figured I would see about the other options first.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
There's a few other alternatives, among them:

The iAudio X5. This is a UMS (USB Mass Storage) player, i.e. you can just drag & drop music onto it. It's a bit long in the tooth though - it was a good competitor to the 4G iPod but has fallen behind the 5G. It does however have onboard recording facilities, good USB-OTG (ability to pull images off external hard disks / cameras / etc) and a built-in radio.

iAudio A2. A PMP - a portable media player. Once again UMS, plays back a wide range of formats, large 4" screen.

Both at http://www.cowonglobal.com/

If you want to mix & match UMS drag & drop and iTunes sync, you can use software like iTuneMyWalkman which allows iTunes to sync with UMS devices.

As other people have said, the Zune is PC only and XNJB + Creative is annoying to use at best when compared to drag & drop or iTunes.

iPod is the simplest option though.

MT37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Thanks, Sesshi.

But I'm pretty sure I'm going with the iPod now. I just wanted to hear what other people thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.