All iPads Decision Making Help Needed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lyngo, Nov 29, 2013.

1. lyngo macrumors 6502

I have had an iPad for travel use for my main computer for the last year or so. It has been a good tool and device for producing and consuming. In my line of work, it has worked flawlessly.

I recently upgraded to an iPad air and I have been having some significant problems. Between yellowing in the screen, dust underneath the screen, dead pixels, I have gone through about 10 of them in all. I'm tired and frustrated by this as I am sure the local employees are tired of me, too.

I have the 64GB LTE version of the Air and I am really thinking about swapping it out for a refurb 13" MacBook Air, plus getting an iPad mini (non retina display) because of the weekend sales, to accompany the MBA. I have never had an iPad mini and my eyes have been spoiled with the retina display of the iPad and iPad air. Do you think that this is a good move? I am able to get decent prices on it, but I am a little fearful of going back to three devices (with the phone).

What do you think? Is this a move that you would make? Why? Why not? Thanks so much in advance.

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

The chances of you pulling ten bad airs in a row are too astronomical to calculate. It leaves me near speechless. Perhaps you should try HP or Asus.

3. lyngo thread starter macrumors 6502

Wasn't 10 in a row. It was over the course of several weeks. I wouldn't notice the yellowing effect until I was at home in lower level light.

4. jdag macrumors 6502a

5. everydayCARD macrumors member

I would have to say going back to a non retina display would be a bad move as you wont be genuinely satisfied with it; it would be more like settling for less as there is a great deal for it. For me, in the process of trying hard to get the best deal possible on products, i some times made the decision to settle for less. I can say that it didn't always work out as i always knew on the back of my mind that this wasn't what i really wanted. Considering how light the macbook airs have become, i would say that going to a macbook air would be a better decision for you, as i believe that you could be more productive on a macbook air than on an iPad. I would recommend you look at some deals for iPad airs going on tonight and settle for a smaller gb, wifi only model as the savings are pretty good on those models.

On a side note, i completely agree and understand that apple's QC has gone down the drains with the latest products. I have a speck of dust in my screen, but i am too afraid to go swap it out with what may have even greater problems.

When you swapped them out, did they give you a full retail swap, or did they just give you a "replacement unit"?

6. lyngo thread starter macrumors 6502

Both. Some were replacement units. Others were full retail.

I'm thinking about taking this one back and just going with a MacBook Air. I'm tired of the swap outs and playing the iPad roulette game. I'm thinking of getting an older mini to accompany it.

7. lyngo thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish I knew what to do, as target has their gift card sale right now with the purchase of an iPad mini. I have just become so entrenched in the iOS environment and this has become my normal workflow. I miss the Mac OS environment, but I am use to iOS.

Also, the yellow on my iPad air is simply annoying. Do I take my chances on new equipment or just tolerate this. Argh. So annoying. Sorry for the vent, but I am just frustrated as to what to do about this whole thing.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

You have gone through 10 iPad Air looking for the perfect screen and in a previous post you went through 9 laptops looking for the right one. Do you see a clue here?

Is it Memorex or is it live?

More to the point : Is it Apple or is it you?

Maybe your expectations or not rooted in reality.

9. everydayCARD macrumors member

Did you get the air from the apple store?
    I am trying to decide whether i would like to swap out my air, but i am afraid that i might risk getting a refurb unit since i didnt get my air through Apple Store

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Go to an Apple store and swap it if there is something wrong with it. Why does it matter if it's refurb?

11. Akack macrumors 6502a

First sentence tells me that you will hate the non retina ipad mini. Would hate for you to buy one then start a new thread here complaining about the low resolution on the mini.

12. everydayCARD macrumors member

Since this iPad Air is almost a brand new unit, getting a refurbished unit is not that different to me than getting a used unit. Its one of the reasons why apple sells refurbished units at a discounted price. In a way, i would be losing money or the value on my ipad if i get it swapped out with a refurbished unit.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, you'd be getting a replacement unit in "amost new" condition. Your "almost new" iPad is still used. If the replacement is functionally and aesthetically equivalent, why does it matter?