Decision Making Help with iPhone and iPod Touch.. WHAT TO DO ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipodtouchy333, May 6, 2008.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

OK, this is a little complicated. Right now I have an 8gb ipod touch. I really want to get a 3g iphone when they come out. The problem is I have a Verizon contract that ends in November. I would have to pay $175 to get out of it early. My real question is since I'm gonna sell the ipod touch no matter when I get the iphone, should I sell it now for more money and cancel the Verizon contract or wait till November while it's value depreciates for 6 more months? Then what could I get for it ? ALL OPINIONS/HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks !

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I doubt anyone is going to want to buy a used 8gb touch.

Just sell the touch on eBay for a huge loss, then save your money for the iPhone. If you're this short on money though, are you sure you're in the iPhone market? It's crazy how many high school kids like, sell their BMX bikes to just own an iPhone that is like 200% of their yearly allowance.

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well, one thing i figured out with verizon is you actually CAN get out of the verizon contract.. Basically, if they change the prices of ANYTHING, including the per text cost, then they are breaking their contract with YOU.. when you sign a two year agreement, the contract goes both ways. For instance, in march, Verizon upped the price per text by .05 (i think) and that meant that everyone on contract could call up and say they do not agree with the price increase and they want to cancel their contract because of it. It is in the fine print of any contract.. it takes A LOT of talking to different supervisors, and sometimes you even have to hang up and call back until you get a competent person, but LEGALLY they have to let you out, so even they say no, then say you will get a lawyer then because it is in the fine print..

SOO.. you CAN get out of a contract if you are smart about it.. HOWEVER, if you already paid your first bill in which the price increase was applied, which in this case would be march's bill, then you can not disagree because by paying for it, you are agreeing to the increase.

So, i would watch out and keep an eye on verizon;s announcements.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First check on what it will actually cost to get out of Verizon early.

For the past year or two their contracts have been pro-rated monthly.

For example (guessing here), it's about $5 less per month over 24 months to get out early. If your contract ends in Nov, but you leave now after 20 months, the fee would be something like $175 - (20 * 5) = $75 instead.

5. theRick119 macrumors member

"I doubt anyone is going to want to buy a used 8gb touch." seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

If there is one thing you can count on with apple products it is that it will have almost an unjustified resale value (helped by a usually overly high retail price).

You can easily anticipate $200 for an 8gb iPod touch right now and since your contract is up in November (peak holiday shopping month) you can probably still count on $165 - $175 by then.

Either way you are still in a good position. Me personally? I just sold my 8gb Nano and plan on buying out of my Sprint contract as soon as the 3g is available. I don't really feel like waiting until March '09 so giving away another $200 to get into an iPhone is ok with me. Just decide what is best for you.

That Touch has value.

6. ipodtouchy333 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey guys, thanks for all the insight. I maybe should add that I have a motorola KRZR right now. Anyone know how much I can expect to sell that for? Thanks !

7. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

This isn't AskJeeves.com. Go to freaking ebay and type in "KRZR".

Seriously, you don't seem mature enough for an iphone. You will just lose it or have it stolen, guaranteed.

8. maxxscholten macrumors regular

That was a bit out of line...

9. HoverPizza macrumors newbie

What a completely random and useless comment. You have no basis in telling him that he's immature - he seems completely mature to everyone else.

10. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'll back this up:

I had an 8 gig iPod touch, and I recently had the opportunity to buy an iPhone at a great price, so I decided to sell the touch. After sending an e-mail around, it sold for $175 within five minutes. People will want to buy a used 8gb iPod touch ;)