Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s0mojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Soton, UK
So after months of deliberation with myself, I have just sold my only machine, built 5years ago a Windows platform, mainly used it for high end gaming so was/is power with upgrades here and there. My original goal was use that money I got from the sale plus abit more to buy myself a iMac 27" variety, then occurred to me that I could get an 13" MBA as I just mainly browse the net, music in the back and web design so all I'd be using would be a browser and BBedit to code, then again I could learn to use Final Cut on an iMac but most likely not.
:apple:
So my question, I've been always a desktop guy, never owned a laptop, would the transition be easy or troublesome? Screen size might be an issue sure since I've dual'd 22" monitors but I could get used to that, hired laptops back in uni. Other than screens, I'm not sure what other drawbacks I could face :confused:

ryNze

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
If you are only browsing, web design/development, music etc. the MBA is perfectly capable of handling these tasks.

The MBA is much more portable - is that important for you?
Even if it isn't, it is still much more convenient to have a laptop as opposed to an iMac.

Personally, my MBA is the only computer I have. When I'm at home, I plug it into an external monitor and that is my "desktop". It works extremely well and is dead silent - great for work!

The only problem with the MBA is if you play games. The MBA does run games to an okay-ish level, but its definitely not meant for gaming.
(when I look at your post, I assume you don't game ~ if you do, i'd definitely consider an iMac or a macbook pro)

The transition from desktop -> laptop may strain your eyes, especially since you dual'd 22" but I suppose you could connect those monitors to your MBA at home?

You'll get use to a laptop set up~ Go for it! =)

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
The advantage of a laptop is portability. Really that's it. If you don't need that portability you are better off getting an iMac.

s0mojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Soton, UK
I've quit gaming for a while now, as for portability well I have been pondering a laptop for a while, the idea of typing away on my blogs in a cafe or offline to a text file outside in the sun than in my small dim lit room seems tempting alot :/

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
If you don't care about gaming anymore, and don't expect it to come up again, get the air and when you're at home you could just hook up the monitors you already own; unless you sold those with the computer.

jmontalto21

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
New York
What kind of web design? Photoshop? Wordpress?

Also doing web design on a 13" screen can be a pain so you def would need to dock the MBA or output a dual monitor otherwise you would go crazy :cool:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I Always Saw The Air

As taking second place to my iMac, so bought my new 27" first. BUT from what you say, your not going to be doing anything intensive so the Air should be fine.

But if you do decide to learn apps like FCP, which require more real estate and power, then you may regret the decision. It really is a chicken and egg thing this......I would be very sure about your long term requirements before you buy. Go to an Apple Store and have a good go with both before finalising your choice.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
It sounds to me that potability is actually a priority for you, so the air is the better choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.