Decision time for me. Please give your help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by td2243, Feb 9, 2014.

1. td2243 macrumors 6502

Okay guys, I've been debating between a Mac Pro and iMac. I do Premiere Pro CC, Logic X, some After Effects, and Lightroom. Those are the most taxing programs I use. I don't shoot any 4K yet.

Based on your experience, would the iMac be able to handle those programs reasonably well? (NOTE: I will upgrade RAM on either machine myself) I've never owned an iMac, so I don't have good knowledge on what the Late 2013 model can handle.

My thinking is....get an iMac with 3 year applecare. Try to start generating revenue with that and if that goes well, sell it in two years and upgrade to the latest Mac Pro.

Thank you guys for the help. This is the configuration I'm most likely getting.

----------------------------------------------------

27" iMac
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    512GB Flash Storage
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5
    COST: $2849

2. BESLC macrumors regular

The iMac will handle everything you are planning on running. You can check system requirements at Adobe, I think you will find the iMac is quite capable.

3. td2243 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have the same machine with 32GB of RAM, an external 500GB SSD Thunderbolt RAID and two four-HDD RAIDs (one 8TB RAID 0 and one 4TB RAID 10). It's a very fast machine. In all but OpenCL, it's faster than the base 2013 Mac Pro.