Decision time! (Sell camera and get a new one?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Jun 21, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, so I have a 6 year old Sony DSC-F717, and it's okay for now, however, I'm going to be shooting a lot more video in the near future and the video camera I have is a crappy Hi-8 camera. So, I was thinking of selling both my camera and the video camera, and getting this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SER46K?ie=UTF8&tag=cabsblo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001SER46K Now, I know that it's hardly as professional as my current camera, but it's a lot better than my video camera. I'm worried about a few things though: One, I wouldn't be able to add things like extra lenses for use as a camera, Two, it isn't as professional as my current camera, and Three, I wouldn't be able to add an external mic for video (or would I?) I'm planning on shooting a 20 minute short film (not exactly professional - but I'd like to make it look good and anything is better than my current camera, plus I'm only 16). How would that do in this department? Ideally, I'd like to get a DSLR and an HD camera, but there's no way I can afford that. The only money I'd have is the money I'd get from selling the camera and video camera, so figure around $300-350. Would the camera I'm thinking of getting be okay?

EDIT: I suppose I should add that I'd like to eventually be a photographer, but as I said before, I'm only 16.

EDIT 2: Also, to anyone who read's Cabel from Panic's blog, that's where I found this camera.

EDIT 3: This is stupid, but my current camera looks more professional, and I like that about it. It's stupid, but I'd feel 'less professional' carrying around that camera I linked.

2. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

3. MAC~n~Cheese macrumors newbie

Just found this thread. Sorry you haven't received any responses. Unfortunately, I cant help much either. I dont know much about camera's with video. I've taken a few courses and done some photography myself - i'm a fan of dslr's though (although i currently dont own one). If you're serious about getting into photography, you'll eventually want to invest in one. Not sure if any of them have video though. And, they're a bit more pricey - you can sometimes find good prices used though. I'd recommend Nikon and Canon dslr's. I currently have an old Canon 35mm film that i dont use much anymore, but still love it. Digital is just the way to go these days. Then again, I dont know if they're video-capable or not, i just never thought to check.

Good luck.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I would not suggest buying a point and shoot camera to shoot video on. It might record in HD, but the lens, mic, and controls are not optimized for video. You'd be far better off saving your money and buying a proper video camera when you're able. You'll quickly realize the limitations of trying to shoot video on a still camera.

5. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, I do want to invest in one, I suppose I'll just have to save.

Alright, well I would love to get both a DSLR and a nice video camera, unfortuntely I just can't afford both. I am, however, getting $225 in the coming weeks, so if I sell my camera now, I could save the money and put the two together and buy a nice DSLR. The only problem being I would still have a really old video camera. It's a DCR-PC110. Do you think that'd be okay? Alternatively, and here's what I just thought of, I could sell both my camcorder and camera, and buy a single camcorder with that money, since I'm doing more video than photo right now. What do you think?

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you're doing more video than photos, I would look for something that's a video camera first. All video cameras will take stills, with varying degrees of quality. Something like this seems well priced and capable of doing all you need, albeit imperfectly.

Really, though, you would be best served by saving some more money and investing in the equipment you really want. A decent DSLR can be had for under $500 these days, and a decent video camera for under $1000. If you want both for under $500, you're going to have to make some compromises.

But if you're really set on that route, definitely look for something that's a video camera first, camera second.

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, my plan is to get the Canon HG10 now. I've heard that's a great HD camera. Then I'll get a camera later on.

8. j.e.f.f macrumors newbie

Since you say you want to eventually be a photographer, look for a dslr that shoots video. You get the benefit of of a very capable still camera, with better image quality than any video camera that takes stills, and you get a decent video camera where you can change the lens, something you won't find on any consumer level video camera.

Take a look at the Nikon D5000. It will give you that pro look, too! The D90 shoots video too, but it's much more expensive. Canon's Digital Rebel T1i also does video, and of course the mac-daddy of them all, the Canon 5D Mk ii (ok... silly to include that one -- $3000 without a lens!!!).