Decision Time

Discussion in 'iMac' started by slimsakus, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. slimsakus macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    La Porte, TX
    #1
    Ok so now I am in a real decision maker here.

    I was waiting for my financial aid refund to come through so I could buy myself a new computer. I figured I would not see it until mid July which put me at a good spot for the new iMacs...well, I got the refund today. Everyone knows money in hand is harder to deal with than when you don't have it.

    I what do yall think? Would I really regret going for a current iMac instead of waiting for the new one. I mean I do like the looks of the current one, I am coming from a 1.5 GHz Dell Laptop.

    If I do indeed go for a current iMac...I was looking at 20", 500GB HD, 2 GB RAM, 256 VRAM.

    I was undecided on the processor though, Not sure if I would see a large improvement from 2.16 to 2.33. I mean would it really be worth the extra 250ish?

    I got to play with a (I think) G5 iMac at school, it was a 2 GHz iMac with no iSight in it. It ran pretty smoothly....how much faster would the C2D iMacs run in comparison?

    Thanks for any info, insight, and opinions....
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    It's difficult to say how much faster a machine is without talking about specific apps and tasks. The Intel machines are quite a bit faster than their G5 counterparts in many apps, but not all. Specifically, the older PPC machines are better with non-Universal apps which are typically a little older. Nevertheless, for browsing the 'net, playing music through iTunes and checking email, they'll be on par. I'd argue that most users won't be able to tell the difference between the 2.16GHz CPU and the 2.33GHz CPU. The large price difference is a bit of a scam to take advantage of people who must have the latest, greatest and top performing machine. Whatever you get now, you'll most likely be happy with. It'll be a huge relief from running Windows on that old Dell, that's for sure. :)
     
  3. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

    WizardHunt

    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Location:
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    #3
    Well the question that you might ask yourself is: How would you feel if you went out and bought a current imac and then 2 weeks later or even 3 weeks later the newer redesigned version came out, how would that affect you?

    If it would not bother you, then go for it. If it would bother you a little bit then I would wait. You will thank yourself for waiting. That is my thinking but the decision is yours.
     
  4. slimsakus thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    La Porte, TX
    #4
    I guess it would be good to say what I would use the computer for.

    I would be using the internet (obvious), mail app, itunes, prolly some videos, little web site layouts, definitely using it for making music (I have a midi device to record my guitar and drums), would install bootcamp to be able to play CS Source once again.

    I would be slightly bummed out if the new ones came out and they were just like ooooo's and ahhhhh's way cooler than the current ones. But I don't think I could say I would be totally bummed out. I guess because I would finally be in a mac. Although everyone does like to have what is out and fresh. Should there be much worries about the Rev A stuff? I would be getting this right before school started if I waited for the new ones...so I don't want many hassles as far as Rev A hardware.

    I figured as much about the diff between 2.16 and 2.33, I figured it was such a small incremental step that my gut said it probably was not the best investment.

    Thanks again for your replies.
     
  5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

    flyfish29

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    Location:
    New HAMpshire
    #5
    this is a hard one- a brand spankin' new style and features (rumored) but is a revision A vs. one you seem to like and would be fast enough for what you want it to do!

    I think the Revision thing is more important in portables and with the Intel swtichover. With iMacs I don't recall any major revision issues (I am sure there were and others will correct me)

    I guess ask yourself, if you wait and get a new one, are you going to want to deal with Rev. A type stuff (if it were to happen) while you are in school- possibly having to do without for a while shoudl something need to be fixed? (Still a very unlikely possibility- but something to consider)

    All the past iMacs have been pretty cool in their own way- so if you like the current one, I say go for it. Flip side is this- wait until the new one comes out, and decide then- you can always pick up one of the current ones someplace.

    So I dont feel like I helped much here- but hey, I typed lots of words!:D
     
  6. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #6
    If you're a student, why aren't you interested in a Macbook(or Macbook Pro)? If you already have a Mac notebook, then what does the iMac give you that your current notebook doesn't? At the very least, wait until as late as you can. We all know the iMacs are long overdue. It would be a bad idea to buy now if it isn't an emergency.
     
  7. rainydays macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2006
    #7
    I think that's the best advice. It's hard to make a decision when you don't know really know your choices.
    It might be that the new iMac is Apples biggest flop ever, it might also be the best computer ever made. But it could just as well be a small evolutionary step from the current one.

    If a new model arrives and you find out that you don't like it, you will probably be able to pick up the current model at a much better price.
     
  8. bdemers macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    #8
    I wouldn't go so far to say that. From what I've heard, we could still be a full two months away from seeing anything. Two months is a long time. If there is an August release, once you add in customization and shipping time, it will barely be there before school starts. I just purchased my iMac 20" (same specs except for hard drive), and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I'm curious what the new model will bring... I am fairly confident that as far as raw computing power in this form factor, it can't be beat. There simply aren't processors out there to beat what they're currently using in any significant way. They could move to Santa Rosa, gain a little FSB and .04 GHz. I sat on the "waiting" bandwagon for six months, and boy, am I glad I jumped off. Worst case scenario, a really cool model comes out in August... you wait till Leopard's out, and eBay your current one. That's my plan, if it turns out the new ones are significantly improved.

    Maybe some of you in the Mac world have forgotten this... but keep in mind how much two months worth of Mac usage (over PC usage) is worth.

    I switched from a Dell laptop, and believe me, the past month has been priceless.


    Oh... and if you go forward with a plan to buy now and upgrade later... consider buying your ram from a different company, so that you can pull it when you sell, and migrate it to your new computer (assuming they're still on the same type of ram at that point) datamem.com has a 2GB stick for 115.00 that will give you a total of 2.5 GB when you swap it for one of the 512 sticks.
     
  9. slimsakus thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    La Porte, TX
    #9
    Your line of thinking is right where I am at. I really do like the current iMacs and we know that they will run leopard when it comes out no problem. So I am going to make a purchase tomorrow, just to make sure I do it on a possible new release day. Plus I have to go deposit the check today =).

    Thank you all for the insight, I really appreciate it. I am sure the new iMacs will be really cool, but I have to admit, the current ones are pretty slick in my mind. I have my girlfriend with me when we went to go look at them and she saw it and was like..."wow, thats really nice"...So I don't feel like I can really go wrong with it. So once again thanks for the input. You will see me around asking questions on how to do things (only after I search).
     
  10. jcoop macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2003
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #10
    I recently found myself in a similar situation: some money came in that I had pre-designated for a computer purchase, and I knew that if I waited until August the money would be gone toward other things (the reality of family life), plus I would lose the time I expect to have available this summer for a recording project that was the principal reason I wanted a new computer. Would I prefer to have the new model? Sure, but things just didn't break my way. My 20" iMac is on its way, and I can't wait to get it.
     
  11. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2007
    Location:
    Arlington Washington
    #12
    Totally agree! I decided I was going to switch to a Mac from my Dell desktop back in April. Before making such a big change I did a lot of research and landed on this site and many others. I admit, I read all the rumors and followed all the advice. I waited and waited and thought WWDC was IT. No update then, money burning a hole in my pocket and all this research made me terribly excited to finally move to a Mac.

    I had been setting aside extra money for a few months to purchase a computer. I had the money and knew if I held it, I would find other places it needed to go. I really like the current iMacs and I had things I was ready to do.

    Long story short, I bought my 20" iMac June 17 (happy father's day to me) and couldn't be happier. I admit, there was a twinge of doubt, wondering what is just around the corner, and I'm sure I may feel small dissappointment when the upgrade is finally announced, but I won't let it diminish my joy today and in the future. I love my mac and I love what I'm learing and what the things I know I'm going to be able to do just around the corner.
     
  12. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #13
    There might not be something to be gained in the short term, but in the long term, there is an advantage to having a slightly faster computer. The current iMac is bascially an eight month old comuter, being sold at full price. For the moment, it is a bad buy.

    I haven't forgotten this, as I just came from this.

    Same here, except I had an HP. The past three weeks for me have been priceless.
     
  13. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #14
    Buy now. You seem to really be happy with the idea. If an update does come out and you are really wowed by it... keep this current one till October and then ebay it and get one of the new ones. You can probably work a bit to make the difference in the prices by then if you so choose and if you stick with adding ram yourself etc you can move your upgrades over. It's so easy to upgrade and switch from mac to mac now... if you want it now get it :)

    You can always move up in the future.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of mac buying! :D
     
  14. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

    phalewhale

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    #15
    Smae here...

    I've been in exactly the same situation... I like the current iMacs but I do think they are starting to look a little dated now... I ordered a 20" C2D iMac with 2GB RAM and 256MB ATI card. It came yesterday and I just got off the phone to Apple because I'm returning it. I did get a good deal. I paid £1098 which is about £70 discount.

    I'm returning it coz I know I'd be gutted if a new one came out by the end of July. I'm off at the moment and I do feel like I'm wasting my time when I could be using my new iMac to the full... but it don't outweigh how gutted I'd be if the new iMac is stunning.

    However, the option to eBay it is appealing but... oh dear.

    Too late - it's going back! I'm awaiting contact from the courier. This indecision has never happened to me before!!!
     
  15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #16
    I personally feel that for any major purchase, it is beneficial to sit on the money for a little while before you actually but. Some things can really appeal to our emotions and make us pay a lot of money for something that might be more than what we actually need. The current iMac is nearly year old technology at current prices. Is that what you want? When the new iMacs come out, you can probably get a good deal on a current model. Patience is a virtue.

    -Cheese
     
  16. jcoop macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2003
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #17
    Sometimes, no doubt. As you suggest, the current iMac isn't the value it was when it was introduced in September '06. But sometimes waiting isn't feasible. I did wait a month after my money came in to see if WWDC would produce anything. I'm sure I'll feel a twinge of envy when the new ones come out, but in the meantime I'll have six weeks or so of a new computer, with time to work on a creative project I've been planning for over a year (time that I will no longer have once late August rolls around and the new semester begins). And though it's not on the bleeding edge, the current iMac is still a highly capable computer.
     
  17. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #18
    You are right. It really depends on what you need the computer for. If you actually need the computer because your current one can't do what you want to do or if you need it for business than it is really a no-brainer. If you just can't wait any more because your current model is a bit slow and irritates you and doesn't have the latest _________, then I would really suggest waiting. You won't be kicking yourself when new ones come out that are really a good value comparatively and you won't have a computer that is already a year old. :)
     

Share This Page