Decision....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nocturnal dark, Jul 29, 2007.

1. nocturnal dark macrumors member

I am going to be buying a Macbook. What size of Ram and Hard drive should I get?

Basically, I will be surfing the web, downloading music and storing it, storing pictures and movies. Burning cds and maybe dvds. Checking my email and maybe running Microsoft Office For Mac once awhile. Other then that no, big company files or major programs in the works planned.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The default 1GB of RAM should suffice. Get the largest drive you can afford 'cause chances are you'll fill it. :)

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

It all depends on how music you will store and if you will download videos. I just installed a 250GB hard drive on my GF's MB, she watchs a lot of tv shows and movies so she needed the extra hard drive. If you find even a 250GB hard drive is not enough for you you will have o get an external one.

1GB RAM is enough for your needs, you can always upgrade if you need later one. Download "iStat menu", its a nice little program that shows you how much RAM, HD, processor speed you are using and many more.

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

Just ask them to super size it.

Well, for RAM, get the stock amount and then upgrade it yourself to 2GB RAM at some point in the future. RAM is cheap and very easy t upgrade.

The hard drive, on the other hand, is not a do-it-yourself, and you might as well order larger hard drive now because that's the first "limit" you'll likely run into.

Keep in mind though that most people, me included, do not take advantage of their superdrive enough, because with a little planning and organization, it can give you basically unlimited storage.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

Wrong. This is the Macbook we are talking about, not the Macbook Pro. Both the memory and the hard drive are user serviceable components. Make sure you buy both aftermarket. You will save money that way and have spares to either sell or keep for emergencies.

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I agree with weckart, i myself upgraded a MacBook to 250GB and it took 10 mins to install and 1.5 hours to install OS X on the new HD.

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

You're right, I was thinking of the MBP. In the macbook, the HD is easy to replace. Still, it may not be cost-effective, and there's always the potential of warranty issues.

8. Stevenup7002 macrumors member

I suggest you get the model with 1 GB and 120GB, if you customize one of the base models, it will add a few more days to the shipping. If you can put up with that, change the specs