Decisions! 12.9 vs 11

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
So I recently purchased an iPad Pro 12.9 and as much as this screen is amazing I am now thinking of switching to the 11in. The graphic designer in me says no silly keep the 12.9 but the voice of reason says the 11 is great because of the portability. There are rumors that adobe will release a full version of photoshop this year so that’s why I went for the bigger screen but I’m sure the 11in. will be fine too. I still have my 15’’ MBP that I will use as my main computer so this is just going to be used for traveling, sitting in bed reading, drawing, working on graphics here and there etc. I feel like by choosing one size over the other I might regret it later. So Im just doing some research and curious about your thoughts. So yes basically I don’t know what I want yet lol. I just wanted to hear your guys’ thoughts, no judging please, as I’m sure many of you that purchased a recent iPad went through the same decisions. Why was your reasoning of choosing one size over the other? Thank you all!!

augustya

macrumors 68030
Feb 17, 2012
There is an entire Thread on it, don't know if you deliberately ignored it or you did not see it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-or-12-9-pro.2151132

But to answer your question

If you want an actual Laptop Replacement, Like the detachable screen of Lenovo Yoga Laptop then 12.9" is your answer

But for all other purposes 11" is the choice of Many, it is a good size with best of both the worlds.

With a 15" MBP as your Main Work Machine, I would have in your place never gone for 12.9" I mean I don't need to, My set up would have been perfect with a 15" MBP and 11" Tablet. I think it is a best set up. Good Luck with your decision !!

Last edited:

PeterJP

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I just bought an 11 as a laptop accompaniment and it's just perfect for that. I have no hands on experience with the larger one except for briefly in the shop, but I immediately noticed that it would be too bulky to drag around to meetings and to work with on the train. If you’re planning to use it fixed at the desk, the larger one might be the better choice. If, however, you’re going to use it as a mobile device in addition to your laptop, I’d say the 11 is great for that.

scottrods

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Garland, TX
If 2 inches larger (Daigonally even) kills portability...???? Really? Yeah... It's bigger but there really isn't an iPad that's not portable... VERY portable. I haven't found any iPads (even the mini) that I can fit in my pocket, so I always have to have some sort of extra carrying case/bag/sleeve or something to lug around that my phone doesn't require. It does a huge amount of the stuff my iPad Pro does, but no pencil support and a few other things it JUST WON'T DO... but an iPad of any sort will always require some sort of carry apparatus. Though I can do most things I ever require on an iPad, it ca't be a laptop replacement for me until I have mouse support. This is an absolute, not a request or a complaint. For others it is fine and they like the human interface style just fine. The younger a person, usually the better, as they didn't train themselves for 30 years on mouse use... Some have never even used a mouse much as they've always had a track pad at their disposal... My first computer had 2 512MB hard drives, and a 286 processor... and I used many computers before I ever bought my own.

Anyway... whatever size feels best to you is what you need. No one can give you any better "help" on deciding which one is for you, than you. Try 'em all... they're set up all over the place, and you can get a feel for the way things work without buying each one (Best Buy generally has a great display that you can try out). Worse case scenario... buy one... if it doesn't work out... return it and buy another one different sized. This part isn't the rocket science that it seems to be.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
If 2 inches larger (Daigonally even) kills portability...???? Really? Yeah... It's bigger but there really isn't an iPad that's not portable... VERY portable. I haven't found any iPads (even the mini) that I can fit in my pocket, so I always have to have some sort of extra carrying case/bag/sleeve or something to lug around that my phone doesn't require.
In the thread augustya linked to several people mentioned they thought the 12.9 was too big for them for various reasons. I don't regret exchanging mine for an 11.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
I had the 2017 12.9 pro and hated lugging it around. The new one is more portable for sure. If you are doing a lot of drawing my opinion is that you will enjoy the added screen real estate and portability of the new 12.9. I find drawing in Procreate on the 11 inch a little cramped and I have to move the canvas around often. However I only draw on occasion and mostly just out of boredom. So the 11” Pro was the device for me, as it does what I need for a tablet.

My opinion of the 11” Pro
It’s roughly magazine size, so perfect for couch surfing, journaling, day planner use, portrait use, reading, and portability weight-wise if there is an off chance you need to bring a laptop with you. I mostly work with Outlook and cloud consoles so with the 11” easy to do 1 handed.

My cons with it are simple, split screen is a bit tight. I find it better to just switch apps by sliding my finger across the Homebar. If you use a keyboard often, the ASK might be beneficial. But I really recommend for the to get an external one instead of the ASK. Keep the 11” portable as possible, utilize the pencil. Most apps convert writing to text and are good at it. The external keyboard when needed can be full size and there are folding ones for even more portability if needed. The ASK for the 11” is a little cramped for long term typing vs the ASK of the 12.9. If I’m typing i have found it’s really only at home anyway. If I’m at work, I use my work laptop for typing. At home I'll use the external keyboard once in awhile.

The pencil honestly is the best accessory you can buy for any iPad!

My opinion of the 12.9” Pro
Perfect for landscape use, split screen, and artists that utilize drawing. Again when it comes to the keyboard, it’s really just up to your daily use. If you use the keyboard often get the ASK, if it’s on occasion get an external one. Take it with you only if you know you’ll use it otherwise leave it at home and use the pencil. You can always type your hand written notes later or convert them to text.

Don’t take this as a review, I just generalized some thoughts here. Take the examples I’ve given as something to compare your case uses for the iPad and which version suits your needs. From what you’ve stated I think you’ll be happier with the 12.9. Especially in April when the real Photoshop launches for the iPad.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
There is an entire Thread on it, don't know if you deliberately ignored it or you did not see it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-or-12-9-pro.2151132

But to answer your question

If you want an actual Laptop Replacement, Like the detachable screen of Lenovo Yoga Laptop then 12.9" is your answer

But for all other purposes 11" is the choice of Many, it is a good size with best of both the worlds.

With a 15" MBP as your Main Work Machine, I would have in your place never gone for 12.9" I mean I don't need to, My set up would have been perfect with a 15" MBP and 11" Tablet. I think it is a best set up. Good Luck with your decision !!
I’m so sorry I did not see it... totally not deliberately. But thanks for putting the link!

I appreciate all the insight you all have provided! I know everyone is different and people use for different thing but I just wanted to know about your personal opinions. This was great! Thank you for all the responses! I bought the 11 in today to just try it out. I have both and I’m going to use it for a day or 2 and figure out what I like. I think I am leaning towards the 11 just because as someone said it, I already my mbp as my main work machine, this will be for traveling and couch surfing and occasional work here and there. I do love the screen of the 12.9 but for portability it isn’t the top choice. And yes believe it or not the size different as small as it is can have a big impact on portability. I was using the 12.9 in bed yesterday and it definitely felt a bit big. I’ll try the 11 tonight and decide.

Again I thank you all for your insights and opinions! It has definitely helped me tremendously!

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
The 11in IPP is roughly the size of a notebook or composition book. If you generally like working in that space then go with the 11in. The 12.9 is like gaining about 3in of space. Any one of the iPad Pros will work. It really boils down to which would like to work with. The weight of the iPads is perfect especially while traveling. Sometimes I forget that I have mine in my bag.

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
Put it this way ... when I am in a work lounge , anyone doing serious work has the 12.9. They don’t seem to have any issues lugging it around. I have 11” it’s hreat but there are times for sure I wish for work stuff and videos it was larger!

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Put it this way ... when I am in a work lounge , anyone doing serious work has the 12.9. They don’t seem to have any issues lugging it around. I have 11” it’s hreat but there are times for sure I wish for work stuff and videos it was larger!
Yeah I agree. If the 12.9 was my main work horse and I didn’t have my 15’’ mbp I would for sure go for the 12.9 hands down. But since this is going to be my secondary device just for traveling, watching movies on a Plane, some graphic design here and there when traveling and couch surfing, I think I might stick with the 11in. If it’s a big project I’m working on then I’ll most likely use my laptop. I love the screen of the 12.9 it’s beautiful but it does feel a bit big for me. I’m also 5’1 with small hands so maybe that’s why lol I put it in front of me and it was almost the size of my whole torso lol

Thanks everyone! You all have been super helpful!

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’ve had both, albeit not the current version of the 12.9, and I know it’s much more portable, but I LOVE the 11” pro, and mine is my only computing device at this point, and moving forward. I have the best of both worlds in something I can use at my desk that has a good enough screen size, but portable enough I can fold the cover and throw it in my purse - no separate bag needed (and my purse isn’t huge - the iPad stands up in one of the outer pockets and does stick out the top a little, but it’s in there and good to go).

I’ve toyed with another 12.9 for the desk and a mini for portability, but I really like the fact that I can be a little more minimalist by having one that works for both scenarios.

At my desk I use it with a full size keyboard ($12 Omoton bluetooth keyboard from Amazon), and a stand to bring it up to a nice viewing level. I keep a case on it with a Smart Cover (also cheap from Amazon), so it’s ready to go if I need to take it off and throw it in my purse or overnight bag.

Best of both worlds IMO.

pookitoo

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Paris
I’m a graphic designer too ( to be more accurate a UI / UX designer ). Portability and minimalism are very important to me.

I wish I can do all my work on the iPad, and to do this I need the 12.9. But the only downside is the software ! Need to have Adobe XD or sketch App or Figma and after effect . So for the moment I need to have a computer ( I just take the 13 MacBook Pro instead of my 15 MacBook Pro because of portability ) and the 11.

Like many said : for serious work the 12 and if we need a perfect computer companion the 11 is a must

Reactions: Donfor39

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
In 2000, I used to tote, haul carry my imac G3 to work and back to home with all the chords ziplocked together uncased in a plastic tube, so i do feel sorry for those lugging a 12.56453” ipad pros

What a fool i used to be.......

Reactions: Fthree

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
If 2 inches larger (Daigonally even) kills portability...???? Really? Yeah... It's bigger but there really isn't an iPad that's not portable... VERY portable. I haven't found any iPads (even the mini) that I can fit in my pocket, so I always have to have some sort of extra carrying case/bag/sleeve or something to lug around that my phone doesn't require. It does a huge amount of the stuff my iPad Pro does, but no pencil support and a few other things it JUST WON'T DO... but an iPad of any sort will always require some sort of carry apparatus. Though I can do most things I ever require on an iPad, it ca't be a laptop replacement for me until I have mouse support. This is an absolute, not a request or a complaint. For others it is fine and they like the human interface style just fine. The younger a person, usually the better, as they didn't train themselves for 30 years on mouse use... Some have never even used a mouse much as they've always had a track pad at their disposal... My first computer had 2 512MB hard drives, and a 286 processor... and I used many computers before I ever bought my own.

Anyway... whatever size feels best to you is what you need. No one can give you any better "help" on deciding which one is for you, than you. Try 'em all... they're set up all over the place, and you can get a feel for the way things work without buying each one (Best Buy generally has a great display that you can try out). Worse case scenario... buy one... if it doesn't work out... return it and buy another one different sized. This part isn't the rocket science that it seems to be.

286 with 500 mb disks....I think u you mean 50mb.....there were nothing close too 500mb in 286 days

Doctor Brian

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2016
Toronto
So I recently purchased an iPad Pro 12.9 and as much as this screen is amazing I am now thinking of switching to the 11in. The graphic designer in me says no silly keep the 12.9 but the voice of reason says the 11 is great because of the portability. There are rumors that adobe will release a full version of photoshop this year so that’s why I went for the bigger screen but I’m sure the 11in. will be fine too. I still have my 15’’ MBP that I will use as my main computer so this is just going to be used for traveling, sitting in bed reading, drawing, working on graphics here and there etc. I feel like by choosing one size over the other I might regret it later. So Im just doing some research and curious about your thoughts. So yes basically I don’t know what I want yet lol. I just wanted to hear your guys’ thoughts, no judging please, as I’m sure many of you that purchased a recent iPad went through the same decisions. Why was your reasoning of choosing one size over the other? Thank you all!!

Fthree

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
12.9 really isn’t that much less portable than the 11. It is noticeable to an extent but (for me) it is negligible as the screen is definitely a game changer for productivity. Don’t get me wrong the 11 is Nice too.

Reactions: Pipper99

Doctor Brian

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2016
Toronto
I had the same experience and bought the 12.9....I'm an emergency doc and use my ipad to read journals, study texts, occasional movies while traveling, and more....I switched because the smaller size is just SO much easier to handle, to watch while you're relaxing or lying down, etc....Good luck.

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Thanks everyone! I ended up sticking with the 11. The 12.9 felt big when I was sitting in bed or on the couch, it was a little hard to handle. I loved the screen of the 12.9 but the 11 for me felt more comfortable. Since this will only be used as a companion to my mbp then I think the 11 is fine. If anything more I’ll just use my mbp. I’m happy. Thanks for all the insight you guys helped tremendously!

scottrods

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Garland, TX
286 with 500 mb disks....I think u you mean 50mb.....there were nothing close too 500mb in 286 days
Yep... dual 512's... I was in high cotton at the time. Shortly after buying that computer I got a sweet deal on a 386 processor and flipped a few DIP switches and got faster too... It also had an onboard hardware modem... was probably half the weight of the whole mid tower... That things was CRAMMED full.

Davefevs

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
Bristol, UK
I think some of it depends on what you’re used to.

I’ve got the 1st gen 12.9”, and I bought the new 11”, and returned it.

The 12.9” shows much more on screen and that was the clincher for me to return it.

I don’t genuinely need pro, but as my business pays for it, it’s an extravagance, but I melt the 12.9”. I use it in work predominantly for note taking, scribbling process maps, etc. It’s revolutionised my note taking (from using paper / note pads previously), especially with Notability. It’s not a pain to “lug” around, it’s A4 size.

I do a lot of browsing with 12.9” in one hand sat on sofa. It does require a regular re-positioning to avoid a bit of strain, but nothing to think it is too heavy.

Obviously the new 12.9” is lighter, smaller, and having my time again, I would’ve bought the 12.9” 3rd gen. But I’d convinced myself the £200 difference would be better spent on Pencil and usb-c accessories. Ultimately I took it (the 11”) back. The pencil 2 is much better too.

Best advice is to go to a store and play! I did that and still got it wrong!!

My 1st gen us still going fine....32gb storage was the compromise when initially purchased, as it came out of my own pocket not my business.

But I do have some regrets of not having the latest kit.

Very intrigued to see what the new Spring iPads will bring!

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
Thanks everyone! I ended up sticking with the 11. The 12.9 felt big when I was sitting in bed or on the couch, it was a little hard to handle. I loved the screen of the 12.9 but the 11 for me felt more comfortable. Since this will only be used as a companion to my mbp then I think the 11 is fine. If anything more I’ll just use my mbp. I’m happy. Thanks for all the insight you guys helped tremendously!
Did you add your vote to the poll? :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-or-12-9-pro.2151132/

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
12.9 feels tiny next to first gen.
Perfectly portable!
#justsayinglike
12.9 really isn’t that much less portable than the 11. It is noticeable to an extent but (for me) it is negligible as the screen is definitely a game changer for productivity. Don’t get me wrong the 11 is Nice too.
Yeah the tendency on this forum to bash the 12.9” iPad as “not portable” makes me laugh a little every time I see it. When I was in college 10 years ago, I had a 15” PowerBook G4 which weighed in at 5.7 lbs. I considered that to be portable and lugged it back and forth on the 10-15 min walk to class daily. I also carried textbooks and a notebook since you couldn’t hand write on a laptop back then and I dislike typing my notes. All in, my backpack probably weighed 15ish lbs. I would have absolutely killed to have a device that combined my laptop, notebook, and textbooks in a package that weighed 1.4 lbs (or 2.5 lbs with the keyboard attached). The notion that a 2.5 lb device isn’t portable is just silly. You can definitely make a case that the 11” model is easier to manage when holding it. But both are portable devices.

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yeah the tendency on this forum to bash the 12.9” iPad as “not portable” makes me laugh a little every time I see it. When I was in college 10 years ago, I had a 15” PowerBook G4 which weighed in at 5.7 lbs. I considered that to be portable and lugged it back and forth on the 10-15 min walk to class daily. I also carried textbooks and a notebook since you couldn’t hand write on a laptop back then and I dislike typing my notes. All in, my backpack probably weighed 15ish lbs. I would have absolutely killed to have a device that combined my laptop, notebook, and textbooks in a package that weighed 1.4 lbs (or 2.5 lbs with the keyboard attached). The notion that a 2.5 lb device isn’t portable is just silly. You can definitely make a case that the 11” model is easier to manage when holding it. But both are portable devices.
I’ve said I don’t find it portable for my tastes, but the difference for me is probably that I’ve never owned a laptop, and have no comparison with that.

Why I don’t find it portable (and I’ve had 2 12.9s) is the fact that I have to have a specific something to carry it in versus the ability to throw it in a normal sized purse like I can with my 11”. However, that’s my personal preference. I think the 12.9 iPad is a fantastic device for sure. I just like that the 11” is the best of both worlds for Me; great on the desk, AND easy to throw in the purse. ;-p

Fthree

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Agreed. The 11 is nice don’t get me wrong but you are right we’re talking about grams of difference in weight and an inch more of screen. I can remember carrying my 15 inch 2015 mbpro in my bag thinking “damn this is light” and I added a 9inch iPad and notebooks to the mix and it still wasn’t TOO heavy. Now just having the 12.9 in there I sometimes wonder if i actually packed it. I’m not too big of a guy 5 foot 8 and avg hands but I could see smaller handed people having an issue trying to comfortably hold it. All it takes is getting used to a slightly different way of holding it and you’ll be used to it on no time.