Decisions :( [6 vs. 6 Plus]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipooed, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I upgraded to the 64GB iPhone 6 and i have 15 days or 30 minutes of talk to return the phone..... I am thinking of taking this phone back for the 6 plus but had a few questions
    1. is there better battery life on the 6plus? i currently get about 6 hours usage on the 6

2. does the 6plus really use more data than the 6? i dont watch videos via cellular, only thing i do via cellular is surf the web and facebook

3. i heard it takes around 4-6hrs to charge from 0-100 :(

4. where as it has the bigger screen with the same specs as the 6, do you get alot of lag (compared to the 6)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

1. The battery is much better, by leaps and bounds.
    2. No and that doesn't make sense. The only difference between the two is the size (for the most part), there's no reason why the 6+ will use more data
    3. I don't deep drain my battery so I can't answer that. I don't think it takes 6 hours to fully charge the phone - that seems too long and I've never needed to keep my phone plugged in that long.
    4. I never used a 6, so I can't compare it, but I've not noticed any lagging.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

The 6+ has a larger battery and will last longer than the 6.

Do not see how it will use more data except that the screen is larger and more are tempted to do more on the phone.

I never run my phone down to zero. But if it was charged from zero using the supplied charger , your times are not far off but 6 hours is wrong. Plug it in when sleeping and you are good to go in the am.

I get no lag from my 6 or 6+. Both fast and buttery smooth.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 6+ takes approximately 3.5 hours to charge fully when using the supplied Apple wall charger, and of course the battery lasts much longer than the 4.7" iPhone 6 because it's a bigger battery. Besides having a bigger screen, the 6+ also has a 1080p HD screen, a better sounding loudspeaker and OIS.
    There are some negatives though, aside from the pocketability.
    The standard iPhone 6 runs smoother as it doesn't have to scale to fit the screen, and this creates occasional lag and freezing. My 6+ is definitely less 'buttery smooth' than any iPhone I've owned previously. It isn't a dealbreaker for most but it's worth mentioning.

5. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

What the hell do you do with your phone to only get 6 hours battery life? I'd call myself a heavy user and I can easily get 2 days out of my iPhone 6.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I drain my 6+ every single day...

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

When I would listen to music and podcasts at work all day I would have to charge my 6 twice a day.

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I've had my 6+ last over a week. I think it helps if you turn off auto app updates, which makes sense. With that turned on, it could be up all night downloading updates.

More data usage? As others have pointed out, why would a 'larger' phone use more data? Because it's bigger? I am on FaceBook, Twitter, and do occasionally watch video content from the web, and I'm still no where near the top 99% of data users. I'm trying to keep my 'unlimited' data plan, but all that I do, I'm not really using it that much. It's making it harder to justify the expense. I do find that I am reading more books on it than on my iPad, but that doesn't increase data. As noted above in my post, turning off the app updates should help in the data usage, and probably the battery life too.

From near zero, it can take a long time, probably the 4 hours to get to 99%. I bought the 12W charger and the 2 meter cord, and it seems to take less time. From zero, I have let it charge overnight and woken to 100%.

'Lag'? Not that I've ever experienced. First thing I noticed is that it was faster than my 5. A lot faster. There are times when it seems to be 'slow', but it's also doing updates or something. I, so far, (knock on wood) have not experienced the reboots others have that are related to the type of flash memory. My 128 isn't near full though either. I don't know if being near top capacity is related to the reboots, but I'm not trying to get them, JIC.

BUT the 6+ is big. The OtterBox case has all of the joys of the earlier versions for the older phones. With the clip, it gets even bigger. Choose your cases wisely. I have had other people seem to salivate over it.

I had an android user quiz me on a list of 'issues' that he had heard people that have the 6+ are 'suffering from'. None of them I'd ever experienced. As usual, there is a lot of FUD out there...

9. ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502

ipooed

Thanks for the input guys, and as for why I only get 6 hours is I am a heavy user... Biggest battery uses are Facebook and Safari at 41% and 39%

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

that is just insane. I am a light user and could never get 2 days....maybe 1.5 at most. There is no way you are a heavy user. If I use my phone heavily it would be dead by 2pm.

11. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Get a 12 watt iPad charger - it'll charge your phone 2x faster than the included 1a iPhone wall plug. http://www.amazon.com/Apple-12W-USB...24786825&sr=8-1&keywords=12+watt+ipad+charger

I easily get 2+ days out of my iPhone 6+. Standby time is INSANE. I don't have facebook on my phone - I'll use it on my Chromebook if I have to because it's a crazy battery hog. I'm definitely a "light" user though vs most - after a day I'll have 87% left.

Phone data usage is dependent on the user - not the phone. The logic behind 6+ using more data is that because you have a bigger screen, you'll like your phone more and use it more (definitely the case for my wife and I). But we're on WiFi 99% of the day so ....

With the iPhone 1amp power plug, it definitely seems like it would take 3+ hours to charge to full. With the 2.4amp iPad charger (or any other 2.1a charger) the iPhone 6+ will charge SUPER fast. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785460 -- My coworker has a USB watt meter type thing (like a small kill-a-watt) and I can confirm that the 6+ will draw more than 2amps when connected to a charger that can supply it.

Highly recommend this for your car: http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Power...=1424787180&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+car+charger

Charges as fast as the ipad charger, but in your car - and gives your wife/gf/significant other a port to use too. :)

Edit: Forgot to answer the lag question.

I come from a Note 3 --- I haven't noticed general lag. I've had a few web pages lock up and prevent me from scrolling a few times for a few seconds --- but other than that, no noticeable lag.

12. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

could the 6+ use more data due to streaming at a higher resolution?

(youtube / netflix @1080)

just a thought, don't have any evidence to back it up.

13. the caveman macrumors 6502

Ill answer your first question, the battery life on the 6 plus is much better trust me.

[​IMG]

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

The battery is much better and it's also the biggest reason I chose to keep the 6 Plus rather than go back to the 6. I could get 7-8 hours usage out of my 6 but get 10-12 hours out of the 6 Plus. It's to the point where I don't even have to worry about battery life anymore. My car charger barely gets used now and I also stopped bringing charges with me during the day. Just charge it overnight and it's usually down to about 20% after a full day of use (6am to midnight).

If you get an iPad charger then it charges extremely fast.

15. ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502

ipooed

That's flippin awesome!

----------

Could using the iPad charger harm the phone? (Damage the battery etc)

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

It would be nice FOR ONCE if you addressed only the OP's question rather than constantly trashing the 6Plus in every thread. The OP never asked about any problems with the 6Plus. :rolleyes:

@OP looks like most people here actually addressed your questions and I'll reiterate that you will get much better battery life with the 6Plus. It was "said" that the 6Plus uses more data because it has a larger screen but even if that were true (which I don't see how) the 6 has a 4.7" screen and the 6Plus has a 5.5" screen. Not enough difference to pull much more data.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I thought his comment contributed. I would want to know those things if I was on the fence.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

That wasn't the thread topic nor did the OP ask anything about problems. He wrote a list of what he wanted to know. And one person's experience doesn't make that everybody's experience and I don't see anyone else here posting problems about the iPhone 6 Plus.

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

For #3, use an iPad charger. It charges A LOT faster than the standard one that comes with it. :) It takes me less than 2 hours to fully charger it from 0-100.

20. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Yep, sad isn't it? Story of the life of MR. Some people have agendas. I've had my 6plus since the day of release and have had zero problems other than finding a suitable case that wouldn't make the whole thing too bulky. I just ended up using Apple's leather case which works well.

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Wow, I wish I'd got one from the same batch as yours.

More GPU and CPU beef for the scaling
    iOS9
    3GB of RAM
    I expect that yours is also strengthened around the volume buttons?

Seriously, "zero problems" is pushing the boundaries of reality a little.
    #

22. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

People in the forum have been know to exaggerate!

A "Heavy User" is a very large and grey area so take it with a grain of salt!

----------

I suspect they are not the only ones that are "pushing the boundaries of reality"! :p

23. klo6 macrumors member

klo6

1.) Absolutely!! I'm a heavy user and still can last all day and have about 30% at bedtime. (To compare, my 5s used to need plugged in by about 3pm.) My daughter's not a very heavy user but her 6 is usually down to about 25% by bedtime.

2.) :rolleyes: That's just silly

3.) Maybe with the included charger. I use my iPad charger and it takes ~2 hours from 0-100%.

4.) Haven't experienced lag that was any different than the occasional lag on my 5s.

24. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You calling me a liar says a lot about you, but then again the negative information you put out about the 6Plus constantly in nearly every thread that doesn't qualify for it says much more.
    Your problems with your 6Plus are YOUR problems and that's too bad for you. My 6Plus doesn't freeze and I have no issues with lag.
    The rest of that nonsense you wrote is just you being you. :p

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Whether some love their 6+, some hate it and some are just mildly irritated by it from time to time, surely we all have to agree that in no way is it flawless. Of course it has issues, and some encounter those much more often if they use their phone in different ways.
    Like I've said on previous occasions; I could take out my phone, make a call, send an SMS, google a train connection, send some emails, play a game, watch a video or check the weather with zero problems.
    An hour and a half of heavy web browsing would throw up numerous frustrating and cumbersome issues though...