Decisions Decisions Decisions - IMAC Refurb vs Latest IMAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aritwik, Apr 26, 2009.

1. aritwik macrumors newbie

I've read these forums over the past few days so that I can make an informed in buying myself a new iMac. I have drilled down to the two options below - and I'm hoping you folks can influence me to lock down on one of these:

I have three main purposes (outside of regular internet usage and MS Office apps usage)

1. Futureproof - something I can use for the next 3 years.
    2. I want to use my IMAC as my main entertainment centerpiece. I want to stream HD quality videos and images from this to my Pioneer plasma screen using the mini DVI connections. I will be looking to use it as a remote desktop to my 1 windows based Dell and 1 macbook.
    3. I play a resource hugging game - Football Manager - often and I want something that can run this game smoothly. Other s/w's such as Word, Excel are something that I hope to run seamlessly on my new machine.

From the three requirements I shortlisted my choices to two IMACS.

1. Refurbished iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

24-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    500GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory
    Price = 1899 + tax

2. iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

24-inch glossy widescreen display
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    640GB Serial ATA Drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB (upgraded)
    Price = 2519 + tax

Is the higher price for the new iMac justify the superior specs as shown above.

Also is it possible for me to open up an iMac like a windows based desktop and add h/w upgrades such as graphics card, memory and hard disks easily?

2. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd buy the refurbished iMac. The nearly $700 difference doesn't justify the small gain in speed or the slightly larger HD. I would use the difference to buy at least 2Gb of memory and an external firewire HD for backup. Memory is easily installed but not the HD or video card. I hope this helps a bi:)t.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...were are you, those prices are higher than the US?

4. aritwik thread starter macrumors newbie

Located in Canada - prices in CAD.

My other big reason for the new iMac was the video card - which is, from what I've read, the latest-n-greatest ie future-proof.

5. TSE macrumors 68030

From benchmarks around the internet, the 4850 is only about 10-15% faster than the 8800 in the previous iMac. I would buy the previous generation, and spend the money saved on more RAM and save the money for the next computer you are going to buy.