Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImageCreator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Hello all, new to these forums...and Mac in general. Wanting to make the switch to OSX but losing sleep at night trying to decide what's best for me. My primary use will be for digital photography and Photoshop CS2. The decision that's haunting me is whether to pull the trigger for the new MacBook 2 ghz or go with one of the refurbished 15" Powerbook 1.67 ghz on Apple's website ??? To be honest, I am scared of either because I read of issues with both, and the last thing I want to do is have my computer in the shop more than in my home.

My thinking was that with the Powerbook they have been around long enough that any kinks are known and there is a fix for whatever might arise. I've seen people talking about black lines on the screen, do you think on a refurbished model this would have been fixed already and if not, what was the solution to fixing that ? Otherwise, would the user experience, software, interface be more or less the same ? What other Powerbook issues should I be aware of and have they also been ironed out by now ? Could I keep this for 6 months-1 year and wait for the next version of Photoshop to come out as well as an updated Macbook, then sell the Powerbook ?

Macbooks are still new and seems like people are discovering different issues daily. I like the idea of having the "latest and greatest" but don't want to be a guinea pig for Apple. Would I be wiser to buy the Macbook and just deal with whatever, IF ANY, issues that might develop in hopes that Apple will offer solutions ? I could always get the Macbook and wait for a revision to come out down the road and sell the original one to get the updated one. It appears that Apple in general have a good resale value.

Oh wise ones, please help me sleep better at night !

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
The MacBook is the best choice performance wise. Though the PB's GPU (128 MB DDR Ati 9700), is far superior to the integrated graphics of MB, the 4-5 times faster processor (and a good bunch of RAM), will do the job for ya. The risk of getting an issue is the same. My MacBook has had absolutely no issues, and it is the case with many others. The screen is also a masterpiece. It is good, and if you need more workspace, you can even hook it up to a 23" ACD (if you buy an adapter for 19 bucks). I'd say you should get the MacBook. The glossy screen shows no reflection at all, and there's nothing that the MacBook can't do, which the PB can. MacBook all the way (you will also be able to get new editions of photo editing programs, since they won't be universal, only intel native:cool: ).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you currently have a lot of Windows software, getting the MacBook may be a good idea -- since it will run the Windows stuff at native speed.

Letting you transition your new Mac OS X software purchases slowly.

The Powermac will mean all new software, and anything that hasn't been upgraded to a universal binary will mean a upgrade purchase when you transition to a MacBook down the road.

Plus the Windows emulator for the PPC machine is generally regarded as extremely painful to use for extended periods.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I think the only smart choice at this point is going with the MacBook. Admitedly there have been a few problems here and there, small glitches with any new release that have already been fixed or are being fixed as we speak.

The shear performance increase of a MacBook vs. a PowerBook is just nuts. Combine that with the ability to run Windows and other OS's you have yourself a totally universal machine with the ability to do virtually anything.

I don't know if you've seen the video but there was a speed comparison done between a MBP and a dual G5 PowerMac w/ 4.5gb of RAM. The test was a custom java compilation to really strain the CPU/RAM. The MacBook completed the compilation in 30 some seconds and the dual G5 completed in 50 some seconds. That's pretty major when it comes to talking about a laptop vs. one of Apples fastest desktops.

MacBook FTW!

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
the Macbook would be the smarter choice. You get the new chipset, great machine, much better screen. The integrated graphics is not that bad at all, especially if you're not into hardcore gaming at max specs and you've already stated your purposes and what you would use the machine for.

ImageCreator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Thanks for your insight and suggestions. As soon as I'm off Macrumors I'm putting my order in for a 2 ghz Macbook and crossing my fingers ! Then Ordering 2gb of aftermarket RAM and maybe, just maybe a nice 20" external monitor for home use...I saw this at the store and LOVE the extra real estate and how the cursor just glides from the Macbook screen to the external monitor's screen...COOL ! Also, it'll be a nice DVD player for the bedroom. Thanks for your help folks !

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
ImageCreator said:
Thanks for your insight and suggestions. As soon as I'm off Macrumors I'm putting my order in for a 2 ghz Macbook and crossing my fingers ! Then Ordering 2gb of aftermarket RAM and maybe, just maybe a nice 20" external monitor for home use...I saw this at the store and LOVE the extra real estate and how the cursor just glides from the Macbook screen to the external monitor's screen...COOL ! Also, it'll be a nice DVD player for the bedroom. Thanks for your help folks !
Awesome, I think you're making the right decision going with the MacBook.

I can personally vouch for the G.Skill DDR2 SO-DIMMS that are sold @ Newegg. They're the cheapeast and my most trusted brand of RAM from the list to choose from that's compatible with the MacBook's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.