Decisions Decisions - New Macbook or keep old?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drake, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. drake macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #1
    Could use some input. I have a nearly year old Macbook who's warranty is about to expire and I'm trying to decide if I should sell it or keep it and get Applecare or just just keep it and not bother with Applecare.

    I could get about $800cdn for it if sold, then use educational discounts to bring the price down to about $1100cdn for the base model with all taxes. Makes about a $300 difference but would then have to deal with rebates and selling the "free" iPod.

    The newer Macbooks don't seem like much of an upgrade, is it worth upgrading to it now? I think if they go with the better LED lit screens, that would be a real upgrade.

    If I keep it should I really blow $250cdn on the warranty. Would I recover the expense when I sell it?

    What would you do?
     
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #2
    I am assuming midgrade machines here:

    n wireless vs g
    Max 3.3GB RAM vs 2GB
    2.16MHz vs 2.0MHz
    120GB HD vs 80GB
    8X vs 6X superdrive
    1 year of warranty vs 0
    64bit CPU vs 32bit

    If you buy AppleCare on eBay for $200-$250 you have to add that into your thinking.

    Its a tough one for sure. Really though you are looking at spending $250-300. In the end what to you want for that money. A brand new machine with a 1 year warranty or a year old machine with a 2 year warranty?
     
  3. hawaiian macrumors member

    hawaiian

    #3
    Unless you're the type to always want the latest and greatest, I think it makes sense to stretch your money and keep the computer for at least 3 years. 4 if you can. I'm also the kind of person that likes insurance, so I would go with Applecare.

    Doesn't sound like you really care too much about the upgrade. I would suspect that LED screens will be available within about a year or so. I could be wrong. But either way, waiting will allow you to get the most out of your computer and upgrade to something that's more than just a small step up in a few years.
     
  4. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #4
    Right now, my current machine as 2gb/160gb, is 1.83 and a combo drive (if sold, I'd be putting back in the 1gb/80gb). I'd be buying the base model, with 1gb/80gb.

    Wouldn't save that much on ebay over educational pricing, and I'd have concerns with eBay.

    Actually, it would be a new machine with a two year warranty (this time, we'd put it on a Visa that offers extended warranty). Man, this is a tough decision, would be easier if they had the newer screens or something substantial to sway my decision. Wonder what the resale value would be on this Macbook in another year?
     
  5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #5
    If you are going the Visa route and don't mind the pain of selling your old stuff, I would say go ahead and upgrade. Resale values should be comparable to the current ones.
     
  6. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #6
    Are you going to upgrade to Leopard later on?

    Core Duo= 32 bit

    Core 2 Duo= 64 bit capable so would run Leopard in 64 bit.

    Or wait until release of Leopard then buy?
     
  7. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #7
    I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade to Leopard at this time. I'm starting to lean toward just waiting, but getting Applecare.
     
  8. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #8
    Keep it. The C2D wasn't that big a bump (just as SR wasn't for the other machines) and a CD will run Leopard without breaking a sweat. There are much more interesting upgrades coming down the road. Make the jump when there is a significant jump in technology, just as you did when the MacBook became the first smallish Apple notebook to run on a Core Duo.
     
  9. showtime macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    #9
    If you are planning on keeping it I suggest getting applecare for the mac if you are planning on selling it. It will be a lot easier to sell and you'll get more if you still have applecare on it.
     
  10. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    #10
    That's a tough one. Core 2 is a lot faster than Core 1, and the clock speed would even be higher...but it probably wouldn't be noticible in every day stuff.

    Ordinarilly I'd say it wouldn't be worth it at all-but if you're only paying $250-300, for the faster CPU, extending the warranty, and removing a year of wear and tear?

    I guess it depends on hassle, because if you could just wave a wand, hand over $300, and get all those things, I think it would be worth it.

    But yeah, a year from now the upgrade would probably be more significant.

    Apple Care would cost you $180ish since I guess you're buying from the Education store? So in that case, The $120 or so you're saying sounds well worth it for the upgrade and new hardware.
     
  11. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    #11
    I would be tempted to upgrade now - the C2D is noticeably quicker (Intel claimed 20% quicker I think). There are plenty of reviews/tests that compared CD and C2D machines and claimed that in real-world operations you would notice the difference - especially when combined with the (modest) improvement in processor speed and the doubling of the cache to 4MB. Certainly, the general consensus was that the newer machines were noticeably snappier - but I doubt it's anything that you couldn't live without.

    As other posters say, the next upgrade should be rather more major - with obvious implicaions for your resale value.
     
  12. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #12
    So, I sold it. Miss it already.

    Anyway...the buyer was happy and I'm happy, that's what counts.
     
  13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #13
    Glad it all worked out. When are you getting a new MacBook?
     
  14. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #14
    When they entice me with something better than I had. Not really sure why I sold it :confused: Wasn't really trilled with the backlighting, but most I've seen in the stores any better and looked great in actual use. Guess I thought I'd upgrade and get something with less wear but the new ones don't look much better than the old.

    $850cdn with a 15" Booq bag.
     
  15. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #15
    Get a Santa Rosa or Penryn MacBook with Leopard

    If you have another computer you can use at home, wait for the next revision and Leopard before getting the MacBook.
     
  16. drake thread starter macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #16
    I'm sharing a PC with my son. I'm hoping to hold out a few weeks anyway.
     

Share This Page