Decisions decisions... Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Marquez90, Jun 18, 2013.

  1. Marquez90 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2013
    Location:
    London
    #1
    Hi,

    New to the forums, been waiting since march to buy a Mac Mini, however i was advised to wait until WWDC as my friend said there would most likely be a new model released. As we all know there wasnt. So my question is do i risk buying a 2012 mini now and assume that a new one wont be released 3 months down the line. However i also feel that if i do wait the newer model may not give me the option to upgrade ram and hdd myself (which i intend to do when i get one).

    Advice?

    Thanks in Advance

    M:D
     
  2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    #2
    Can you wait for another few months ? If new one comes out and you cannot do the upgrade then buy the current one, because at that time, you know you can get an older generation mini for less money. Just a thought.
     
  3. Marquez90 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2013
    Location:
    London
    #3
    Will it not be likely that once apple release a new model the old one will be discontinued? in which case i would have to buy a Second hand 2012 model if upgrading on the new model is not available?
     
  4. fig macrumors 6502a

    fig

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #4
    At some point you have to just pull the trigger. If you wait another three months and there's noting then...do you wait another three months?

    I bought a dual 2.6ghz i7 Mini a month or so ago and I couldn't be happier, it's nice and fast and very capable of handling everything I need to do. If something faster comes out...well, my Mini will still be the same speed it was when I bought it.

    Whatever you buy starts to become obsolete as soon as you walk out the door with it. Just accept than and get a new machine when you need to :)
     
  5. ramram55 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    #5
    I know in US, say mac mini comes out in oct, there should be some outfits that sell the 2012 models brand new at a discount, within 2-3 months window. How much I do not know.
     
  6. butch10x macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    #6
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^^^
     
  7. Marquez90 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2013
    Location:
    London
    #7
    Awesome guys, thanks for the advice.

    I am going to order the Quad core 2.3 GHz tonight then!

    im glad i have finally made up my mind haha
     
  8. Che Castro macrumors 603

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    #8
    You can always sell it after the new one comes out , you will only lose about $150

    And $150 for a few months of use is not bad
     
  9. Johnny Vegas macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
    #9
    Buy it now. Apple will do one of two things with the mini - Spec bump, which the only significant upgrade will be the IGU. Or Apple will redesign the mini and will in all likelihood result in fewer ports and less changeable parts.
     
  10. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2006
    #10
    I faced the same dilemma. My desktop is acting funky and isn't good enough for my daily needs. I bit the bullet and ordered mine on Sunday from Newegg since it had big discount on RAM and SSD combo and a $50 Gift Card. I figure with that much shaved off, even if there is a new one in the fall, I'd already have paid less for it than a new one.
     
  11. Micky Do macrumors 68000

    Micky Do

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2012
    Location:
    An island in the Andaman Sea.
    #11
    Well done on making a decision.

    I was going to say, if you need a (new) computer now, buy (one that fits your needs and your budget) now. If you don't, wait.

    The question comes up quite often, for some reason. The answer is really quite simple.
     
  12. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2012
    Location:
    Northeast
    #12
    I bought the same one last night. I ordering some RAM before I set it up. I am going to dual boot assuming I can get my current SSD in there :)
     
  13. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 1, 2012
    #13
    The 2013 model is about due for a case redesign; and it'll probably have the much faster PCIe SSD.

    I'm gonna wait, but then again I already have a 2011.
     
  14. sublunar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    #14
    I'd agree with that assessment. The argument in favour of a 2013 redesigned Mini is the expectation that it will continue the theme started with the MBA and 2013 Mac pro and use the PCIe SSD. I would say it will do that by sacrificing one of the existing drive bays, leaving just 1 to house a traditional HD so they can offer a Fusion drive. The Airport Extreme redesign is what I would take cues from.

    The case against is simply that it will become a Rev A Mac again which people may want to wait a few weeks for even after launch to see if early adopters run into problems. This could mean waiting as late as March next year to see if an all new Mini develops early Rev A style problems like the 2012 iMac did. If you can't wait that long then there's always the 2012 model, especially if you can snag one from the refurb store nice and cheap.
     

Share This Page