Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Would You Choose?

• 128GB iPad Pro with LTE

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 12" Retina Macbook

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • Mac Mini Core i5 - 8GB Ram - 1TB HD) + 64GB Ipad Air 2 w/ LTE

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Surface Pro 4 - Core i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll say this though, the SP4 is an awesome device, I really hate to give it up. If Microsoft can figure out how to get the battery life up to speed, Apple will have their hands fuller than they already are.
I believe the latest patches may address that, but I'm not sure

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I believe the latest patches may address that, but I'm not sure

I think it's the sleep that's still bad but that's not just on SP4 even our rMB have a similar problem and hibernate is best option

Of course a lot of personal preferences also come in to play which exaggerate the reports but by and large the initial deluge of moans and groans have been sorted

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it's the sleep that's still bad but that's not just on SP4 even our rMB have a similar problem and hibernate is best option
I forget where I heard it, but it was recommended that people use hibernate, yes it slows the wake up process a bit but it will be more beneficial to the battery.

Reactions: Queen6

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I forget where I heard it, but it was recommended that people use hibernate, yes it slows the wake up process a bit but it will be more beneficial to the battery.

I just came from an SP4. Fairly nice machine, but it does have some issues. I can confirm that the sleep bug is still present along with a few other bugs. I think Microsoft is having some early adopter issues with the new Skylake processors along with still trying to squash some bugs with Windows 10.

Overall, the SP4 is a really good machine in theory. In execution, MS has some work to do with their quality control. I literally did 5 exchanges this past week trying to find an SP4 that didn't have any hardware issues. I gave up and I'm now typing this post from my new rMB at the Apple Store (downloading El Capitan). Unfortunately, every time MS releases a new Surface the first waves of hardware are a little hit or miss. I've been through this with the SP2 and SP3. My last machine was an SP3 that I really enjoyed and owned for close to a year. Same issue with having to do several exchanges until I found one that didn't have a problem.

So for now I've settled for the rMB. I say that because I would prefer to wait for the next rMB release with Skylake. Unfortunately, I sold the SP3 so I need something to tide me over for a while.

Maukey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I have decided, yet again LOL, to hold on to my SP4 for now. I had narrowed it down to either keeping the SP4 for now, or exchanging it for the rMB. I ultimately went with the latter as I prefer it as an overall package. When I found out that the battery life between the two is somewhat negligent, with the rMB maybe getting an hour improvement, it kind of sealed it for me. I have until Jan 31 to return the SP4. It makes more sense to ride it out and see if rumors get stronger about v2 of the rMB in the new year. If so, I can easily return the SP4 and wait on the 2016 rMB or maybe rMBA. As of today, I just prefer the SP4 as a single, do it all device to anything Apple offers.

Also, for those of you that own a SP4, I did a reset of my SP4 which included a reinstall of W10 and all of the latest patches. I've also changed the settings so that the system goes into hibernation instead of sleep. Battery life has improved since. We'll see if it continues.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have decided, yet again LOL, to hold on to my SP4 for now. I had narrowed it down to either keeping the SP4 for now, or exchanging it for the rMB. I ultimately went with the latter as I prefer it as an overall package. When I found out that the battery life between the two is somewhat negligent, with the rMB maybe getting an hour improvement, it kind of sealed it for me. I have until Jan 31 to return the SP4. It makes more sense to ride it out and see if rumors get stronger about v2 of the rMB in the new year. If so, I can easily return the SP4 and wait on the 2016 rMB or maybe rMBA. As of today, I just prefer the SP4 as a single, do it all device to anything Apple offers.

Also, for those of you that own a SP4, I did a reset of my SP4 which included a reinstall of W10 and all of the latest patches. I've also changed the settings so that the system goes into hibernation instead of sleep. Battery life has improved since. We'll see if it continues.
LOL

From what I have read also switch off Cortana if you don't use it, be careful of what browser you use for youtube/streaming. The screen is very bright so you can scale down a few % to your normal setting, synch onedrive and file history manually. Turn off non essential live tiles, Use AVG IMO

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I have an SP2 and had SP3 and SP4. The SP2 is the only one that gave me decent battery life, or at least gave what I expected. The SP3 and 4 went from good to bad to good to bad seemingly with each update. Finally gave up and got rid of the 3 & 4.

Now I've got the rMB and am tickled pink. Even though the battery life never indicates it is going to get much more than 6 hours, it hasn't required a charge sooner than 8 hours in actual use. A little over a year ago I was swearing off Apple as it appeared that MS was on the right track for OS and ecosystem, including the phone. But alas, the WindowsPhone, in spite of being an excellent product isn't getting any traction and MS' ecosystem never quite lived up to my expectations.

Glad to be back in the Apple fold though my wallet has been crying a lot lately... :)

Reactions: Maukey

baltoyyz

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
**Update**
I should also point out that I am considering the rMB because I no longer NEED to encode HD video in Handbrake. During my time with the SP4 I discovered a wonderful App called Air Video HD which streams any video format from your Mac or PC to your Apple TV. The only reason I used handbrake was so I could stream my Bluray backup library of MKV movies to my New Apple TV. I no longer need that functionality with this App.
Thanks everyone for your help during this time!

Take a look at Plex instead of Air Video HD if you haven't already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.