Decisions, decisions... your opinion please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjfcpa, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jjfcpa macrumors member

I need two laptops... one for database development while tethered to an external display and one for travel (size, weight, and battery life matter here).

One other thing to keep in mind is that I will actually take both when I travel. The more powerful might be needed in the hotel at night.

I'm thinking that the following might be the best combination.

The powerful one is easy... rMBP 13 or 15

But the 2nd one is not so easy.

It has to run a couple of very important applications:

VMWare (for Windows use)
    Filemaker
    XOJO (database development tool)

With the recent introduction of the MB 12" this sort of clouds the issue. Before that I was thinking that the MBA 13" would be the best option. Perhaps it still is? But then, I don't really want to invest $ 1500 or more in an obsolete computer.

Even the first option of 13 or 15" needs some consideration because I will need to take it on the road too. I know the 15" is more powerful with the quad core CPU, but will it make that much difference? Should I wait for WWDC with the rumors of a refresh to the 15"?

What's your thoughts?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd say, just get a rmbp 15" for both roles. 4.5 lbs is still pretty light for travel.

3. jjfcpa thread starter macrumors member

Very difficult to use one on a plane, which is a must.

4. keviig macrumors 6502

I've brought my rMBP 15" on planes on several occasions, and have never had a problem having it fit on the tray table in front of me.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

The 13" rMBP fits on a plane...I would just get that. I don't see why you need 2 computers.

The 13" already gets over 10 hrs of battery life, is smaller than the 13" air, should handle all your uses and is perfect for traveling.

But if you're insistent on two computers for some reason, I would get a mac mini for your display. Traveling with it would be easy, and if you track down a 2012 you can get a quad core...

But just get the 13" rMBP.

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Alright, here's my opinion, and this is assuming you can wait until the new rMB launches since you're even considering it.

1. Wait for the 12" rMB. You may find it fits all your needs while being the latest and greatest.

2. Go with a 13" rMBP if you can't wait. It's a great tool and plenty portable.

3. If you absolutely need 2 (I don't get why, maybe using both at the same time) get the 13" rMBP and 12" rMB.

If you can wait even longer till WWDC, I'm hoping Apple updates the MBP line with USB-C along with new displays that'll support both USB-C and Thunderbolt, maybe even new keyboards, mice, and trackpads.

7. jjfcpa thread starter macrumors member

I like you're thinking... wait to see if the rMBP 15" is updated and then also get a rMB for the traveling side of it.

Just to further clarify... when traveling, I just do very light computing on the plane and if I have to go out to meet with clients. I can't see carrying the 15" with me because if you have to walk any distance (and I will), carrying it can get a little old.

I also attend conferences a few times a year and the better battery life comes in handy when sitting in a conference for 8 hours a day.

8. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I never said 15". I don't think that's needed. You said you're either using it on a plane or attached to an external display.

Would there be no where for you to charge your MacBook while at a conference? USB-C should be able to charge rather quickly, even if it's a quick charge during lunch. For comparison, my 2010 MBP had about 5 hours of battery life when I took it off the charger today. I currently have 217 cycles on it.

9. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

Two lap-tops do sound like an overkill. You can't replace one with an iPad? Would make more finical sense.

10. David58117 macrumors 65816

The 13" retina gets better battery life than the rMB.

It's also closer to an Air than it is to the 15" retina (having owned both).

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I use my 15" on the plane all the time. It is about the same size as the tray table.

12. jjfcpa thread starter macrumors member

Not impossible if you don't mind sitting it on your lap when the guy in front of you has his seat back reclined as far as possible.

13. Durious macrumors 6502

Agreed 15" does not work on planes I travelled nearly weekly on planes for 3 years and 9/10 the size would never work and hands would be cramped trying to do anything, with the exception of business\1st class or an emergency exit seat where their is no seat in front of you.

14. danistyping macrumors regular

If you really need 2, I would do this:

1. More powerful machine - 2015 13" Retina MBP upgraded to 16gb ram

2. Lighter machine - 2015 13" macbook air, upgraded to the i7 processor

both have killer battery life and will handle what you're doing

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Look man, people are giving you great advice but it seems money is no object for you and you are convinced you need two laptops. Buy what you want.

But the 13" rMBP will do everything you want to do and then some; there's nothing you will throw at the 13" rMBP that it will not handle.

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, buying two laptops ain't very bright.

But, if I were to go that route, because I needed the quad core of the 15" and I needed it portable, and I needed a second laptop it would be a lot more portable. The new MB or a MBA would be my choice. I mean, if I'm getting two laptops. Or maybe an iPad and the 15" rMBP.

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This

A maxed out 13" pro seems like it will cover all your needs.

18. mac-slap-happy macrumors member

I agree with those stating that two laptops are going to be a pain. I would either get a high end 13" rMBP, or if you can relax your air travel requirement any of the 15" rMBP models.

I don't do much air travel, and as such went with the 15" rMBP. I couldn't be happier.

19. flur macrumors 68000

No one has yet mentioned the 11" MBA. This is my travel machine and it works wonderfully - small enough to be comfortable on the plane, usable on the tray table even when the person in front of you has reclined all the way back (I usually pull the table toward me a little bit in this scenario). Mine is an i7 with 8gb memory, and it runs a VM with multiple applications open (on both the VM and the mac side) without issue. Battery life is great at conferences - I carry a small external battery but I've never had to use it with the MBA (at this point I usually just leave it in the hotel room).

Get whatever you like as your power machine, and the i7 11" for travel, and I'd bet you'll rarely need to take both - the 11" will get it done for you.